Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 08:29 AM

Default JJ - Reraised by tight passive

MP2 is Tight passive. UTG1 is Loose Aggressive/Passive.

Preflop i didnt like being out of position and being reraised by the tight passive player holding only JJ. Decided to check/call down to river (think this could have led to weak flop play.) Opinions?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $4.50 (All-In), <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.75 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero folds, MP2 calls.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: JJ - Reraised by tight passive

you absolutely have to bet out this flop. you want a ragged flop w/ JJ, here you have one. MP2 can have something like AK or TT as well, you can only find out if you bet.
getting CRed sure sucks, but i would still call and reevaluate on the turn. you might be up against a set, although in his position i would wait to raise until the turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 AM

Some players will call all raises and if no paint hits they will try to push you off your hand. The thinking is you have AK, AQ, AJ, KQ most of the time and you cannot stand the heat. I would have tested him with a raise. Remember this person is known to be agg preflop so to limp means its unlikely hes real strong. If he is real strong he started out slow playing to trap you and to expose his trap on the cheap street is not part of this kind of play.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:20 AM

I would bet out, but assuming you have not, am I the only one 3 betting here to isolate a potential A10 or even 10J from UTG?

arx
Old 09-08-2005, 09:45 AM

I think there's a really good chance that you folded the best hand here. I'd lead the flop because I don't know if MP2 will do it for me UI in a protected pot.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 AM

The way it played out and now that it is our action, I'd 3-bet. I can't imagine a tight passive calls a check-raise and a check-3 bet with just overs on this ragged board. While he probably would call an overpair to your JJ. This helps to define where you stand in this hand....albeit expensively.

I am not all that worries about the check raiser's hand yet.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 AM

Flop check is the right move, check raise the right move after. If tight passive calls two, well, be careful.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 AM

Fold!?

This is the perfect flop for you, I would lead out on the flop, but since you checked you have to 3-bet this when it comes back to you. Your ahead 80% of the time at least. UTG1 is going to be c/r'ing hands like JT/QT here to protect.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM

Threebet the flop, if MP caps I would fold the turn to a bet unimproved.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 PM

You have to bet this flop. You really can't just assume anyone for a big PP based on preflop even if they are tight passive. Bet out and re-evaluate. It's much more likely that villain(s) hold two big cards than AA-QQ.