Trainwreck, buddy.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Looting and You.

Politics

EDIT-

The Trainwreck would work, too.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Looting and "stealing" cannot really be considered along the same lines. When i think of looting i think of people deliberatly taking advantage of the fact that people are dying and helpless. So in answer to your question...no
Old 09-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Food and drink is fine, personally I don't know why they give a [censored] about any of it, it is all junk anyway. This is NO.

No excuse for it in other areas.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:42 PM

I'd never loot for anything materialistic like a TV or some shiny object. There are lots of scenerios tho were I would loot for food/water and not lose a seconds sleep over it.

I got in a huge argument with this lawyer chick im dating. She was telling me about people looting in NO (I dont watch the news) and that the cops just stand there and watch them because they cant arrest them because there is nowhere to put them (she even said some cops were joining in). I said that was [censored] stupid, all the cop has to do is get some ID from them, put their name on a list, and they arrest all the fucktards once everything is back to normal.

she said this was a horrible plan and couldnt work at all. She then could provide no legal reason why it couldnt be done.

But dude, I reallllly need a wide screen TV.

My 13" TV/VCR combo just isn't cutting it any more.

I think scavenging for food would be perfectly acceptable to most people. It's not at all the same as taking advantage of the situation to loot people houses of jewelry, TVs, etc. If you really felt badly about stealing the food from an abandoned store to survive, you could always go back and pay for it later. This is not really much of a dilemma.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:46 PM

I would do it if I needed food or something to survive, or if it was some kind of apocalyptic scenario where it was clear that the infrastructure/economy would not likely be rebuilt soon anyway.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:55 PM

Supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, and anything else that sold food should be, by law, open to the public in disasters like this. It should not be considered looting when people enter a supermarket in search of food and water when there are no other resources available.

They can't get cash, the ATMs are broken. They can't get out, the police are forcing them to stay put. The stores should in some other way be reimbursed at the end of the tragedy.

There is an obligation to keep these people hydrated and somewhat fed. It should not be considered looting unless something other than food, water, medicine, diapers, and other necessities are taken.

All laws of normal commerce should be tossed out the window for the duration.

So would I loot daily necessities? You bet I would. I'd try to organize some way to collect the goods and get them passed out to the dying. Of course, I'm not there, so I can talk as brave as I want, but what would it be like there? Only those poor people know.

Onaflag.........