Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Theory Post: On position

I think I understand the advantages of position to a certain extent, but not fully. To me, it means the following:

- it allows you to pick up more small pots
- allows you to stack other players easier as you control the betting
- more information on each round (since you get to see how other players react to card before they see your action).
- pot control since you can end the action on each round with a marginal holding while you cannot OOP. helpful with one pair holdings.

Especially in situations when bad cards come (3 flushes), being in positions prevents you from making pot sized mistakes like having the pot taken away from you with air when you check OOP or betting into the pot when your OOP has made the hand and geting raised. It seems like the major advantage of position is being able to call/bet/check whereas OOP your checking options arent gaunranteed.

Your ability to not check and end the action and move on to the next round seems to be the major thing because this keeps you from making pot-sized mistakes with margianal holdings like one-pair or low two pair. OOP you can check, but if your oppenant bets (having been encouraged to bet by either your check or strong holding) you are then "put to the decision" to make either a pot-sized fold or a pot-sized call, both of which could be mistakes.

Now, if you are in position and a scare card comes, and now your oppenant bets, its more likely that he does have it, given the givens that oppenants typically bet wit hstrong hands and will more likely check OOP when a scare card hits, you can more correctly make the right pot-sized move (fold) (or call and draw to your appropriate outs).

Could we talk about position? I would like to hear your thoughts
Old 08-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Theory Post: On position

I think the more you find yourself floating about post-flop with nothing, the more you will come to understand the importance of position.

It is everything.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:20 PM

Position is far more important than your cards. When you have position, you can crush other players like grapes. And make wine! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Anyone have further analysis?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Patience, little one.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:00 PM

I think that the importance of position depends on your style of play. It is always an advantage to have position, but if you play like Doyle suggests in super system then its even more of an advantage. If you are a player who will hang around in pots with nothing just to evaluate the strength of your opponent and take pots away from them because you can, then position is even more important than what you hold 75% of the time.
However, if you are a straight forward player or a nut pedaler { forgive my spelling} then while position is an advantage, its not nearly as great as it is for other styles.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the more you find yourself floating about post-flop with nothing,

[/ QUOTE ]

nobody on 2plus2 would do such a thing.

floating with no hand makes baby DS cry.

fim
Old 08-11-2005, 02:05 PM

Fk David. Let a playa play.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:03 PM

For one thing, you don't have to waste bets on Stop and goes and make your transparant when you do so. For instance

AA on a T82 board. If you lead out, get raised, you may feel it necessary to lead out again on turn/fold to a raise. YOu waste a 2/3 turn pot bet whereas if a scare card comes on the turn (ie JQK8) come and he still fires strong, you can get a better idea and possibly make a fold in position without wasting pot-sized bets.

It seems like being the last aggressor, usually the one in position (maybe?), usually has the advantage since it could induce incorrect folds/calls and induces more info about the others hand. It seems like being in posiiton can induce/save pot-sized mistakes more often than being OOP, does anyone else have theories/examples of why this is?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fk David. Let a playa play.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pming him and saying you haterated on him.

DS rolls deep, he aint that [censored] to [censored] with.

fim