Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 10:54 AM

Default a very shady move

I generally play short handed NL with a guy, Brett, with a history of trying to argue his way to win pots. Just the other day, a guy put him all in out of turn. He showed me king ten and commented that the play was out of turn. with the opponent's chips still in the pot he said 'call.' When his opponent showed his hand Brett claimed that he was only calling the big blind and did not want to call the rest of the bet because the other player played out of turn.

This is Brett's history. What i care about the most is that when he was playing at my house he had another problem. Before the game he asked if the deck was full. I told him i was not sure but that he could count it if he wanted. He rejected this offer and we played. As we played aces were hot so he decided to check the aces. They were right so we moved on. At the end of the game he was way down so he finally decided to count the deck.

I started to freak out because i knew that he would complain without end if it was not full and probably ask for money back. He told me "don't worry" but did not deny the accusation that he would ask for money back if the deck was not full. luckily it was.

So the question becomes, what should i do with this guy and how should i handle playing with him in the future?

Jake
Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: a very shady move

Do not invite him to play at your house.
Always count the deck before beginning play.

If you do continue to play with him, make it very clear that you will not tolerate any bullshxt from him.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM

I've never seen anyone do this at a home game, probably for good reason. A whiny little brat that doesn't come prepared to lose money and then whines about a faulty deck is going to get beaten.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Don't let him play. He's obviously a whiny little b##$@#$, and unless he's family he doesn't need to be there.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:01 PM

If someone tried the all-in move at my house, I'd tell him he has two choices -- 1. push all his chips to the center and take his chances or 2. call the big blind and cash out as soon as the hand is over, win or lose. If he tried this or anything similar a second time, he'd only get the second choice.

IMO, someone can count the cards at any time (ONCE), if the deck is wrong the current hand is dead. All completed hands are final.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:31 AM

Brett is a big tool
Old 06-22-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brett is a gigantic tool that I would never play with again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-22-2005, 06:14 AM

get a baseball bat and tell him to shove it

seriously this is kid's stuff
Old 06-23-2005, 12:25 PM

I'm not disagreeing here about Brett. He sounds like a douchebag when it comes to poker. However, with that said, acting out of turn can get awfully confusing. At my home games, as soon as Player X pushed in out of turn, several people would've said "hold on, it's not your turn yet". Then the action is still on Brett and if he wants to only call the BB, he can do so by only pushing the BB forward. Of course, that might be pretty silly if he's just going to fold to the all-in that he knows is coming. But that's his problem.

Like I said, I'm not saying the guy didn't obviously act like a tool by starting the argument, but he wouldn't have had an argument if the Player X not only acted out of turn, but also turned his cards up before an already confusing betting round was set straight. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 AM

I would never invite him to play cards at my house again and I would tell him why.