Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 08:41 PM

Default 1/2 6 max attempt (stats)

ok, here are my stats so far. I'm afraid that I don't beat the game. Is it possible that I'm just running terrible. And is my sample size worth anything?

hands played: 4557

VP$IP: 20.96

PFR: 14.79

BB/100: -2.37

Amount Won: -$215.96

I don't think I'm terrible post flop. I seem to think pretty much the same way as you guys when I read the threads.

I will try and post some hands, I know that is the only way to get help. I just wonder if it is possible that this is a typical downswing. I know you say you drop 100 BB all the time. But is that over 4500 hands. Don't laugh at the sample size. Well, actually, if it is laughable laugh, maybe then I'll realize I'm not as bad as I think.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Re: 1/2 6 max attempt (stats)

Bleh I was in red for my first 4k hands at 3/6 (actually I still am I just don't play it any more) and my first 3k hands at 5/10. This was basically a -100BB run at those 2 limits, I was still playing 1/2 and 2/4 at the time and winning so it cushioned the blows somewhat but now I am at 2.5BB/100 at 5k hands at 5/10 so yeh need more hands before you can know. I'm sure you can beat the games at 1/2 there just aren't enough good players for it to be a problem.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:38 AM

now I at 4794 hands.

I down 137 BB.

I honestly don't even remember what it is like to win a pot.

I just went through PT with a friend. I'm clearly running horrible based on the stats in there. I just wonder how much longer it can go on before it turns around. Assuming I even beat this game, which I am starting to doubt.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:00 AM

we had a poll not so long ago in this forum where it was decided that if anyone posted about a downswing of less than 300BB's then i, and the rest of the forum, would be well entitled to mock and ridicule them

post some hands or go away and play another pissy little sample of hands before you come here whining about those bad guys with thier bad cards

and whats with the strange handle ? - are we supposed to understand this garbled collection of letters ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-22-2004, 05:29 AM

Strip is just a bad man... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I stopped worrying about any kind of downswing under 200 BB (not that long ago). 200BB and I start to look at my bankroll with a kind of melancholy (oh why did I not take that week off...).

300BB is a huge downswing, and way too late to only start considering leaks in your game. 200BB IMO is room for some concern, and should be the time you need to just look over your game a bit and start posting some hands. But forget "I'm on a losing run" to accompany those posts. Forget the hands you are leading on and get Rivered, there is nothing you can do about that. You will get enough feedback from the sensible hands you post to judge if you are playing OK.

And no, it was not decided that 300 BB was the point of ridicule, esp. since Schneids has posted that his worst downswing was 320BB (that's not much room for error). It was a poll conducted by Strip, and I suspect collusion and partisan voting in that poll.... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] They are all just a collection of xtreme LAGs trying to pass themselves off as good players...[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I say 200 BB should be alarming. But agree with Strip that, given the number of downswings visited on the posters here, 200 BB is not enough to start whining. Consider your game seriously at 200 BB, usually by the time you finish contemplating your navel, it will start to turn around.

You can always drop a limit or switch to another site. Often this can be quite refreshing and help to blow out the cobwebs that may be causing you to cramp your game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 05:39 AM

4557 hands is nothing. 100bb is nothing. play more.

i've lost twice as much in twice few hands, yet i'm still beating my game for a good amount. it's variance, plain and simple. the only way to know for sure if it's not is to play more.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:48 AM

"and whats with the strange handle ? - are we supposed to understand this garbled collection of letters ?"

It isn't a difficult puzzle to solve, especially given his avatar. In his defense, he seems to be a l337 HzX0r!

stripsqueez seems much more confusing to me. What exactly are you squeezing after you strip?

pwn on spider minkle, pwn on!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:44 AM

Please add aggression stats postflop. My data (and others posted here) suggests that postflop aggression is the best predictor of success.

PT calculates aggression as a ratio of betting + raising divided by those + calling. I have successfully decreased my calling to improve my aggression stats. Calling is often my biggest weakness when I am going bad. If your hand is not good enough to bet or raise you should really reconsider whether you belong in the hand (and I plan to reread this sentence daily so that I do not fall into that habit again).
Old 10-22-2004, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please add aggression stats postflop. My data (and others posted here) suggests that postflop aggression is the best predictor of success.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of people believe this, but I think it is inaccurate.

Over a short number of hands, people who win are getting good cards. If you're getting good cards, you're betting and raising a lot. This is why the aggression numbers are so high for the "winners" in PT databases who only have 100 hands or so.

To make any real judgment about how important aggression is, you need to look at a very large number of hands from a random sample of 6 max players.

[ QUOTE ]
If your hand is not good enough to bet or raise you should really reconsider whether you belong in the hand (and I plan to reread this sentence daily so that I do not fall into that habit again).

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is better to say, "If you're going to call, consider raising." But there are many times when simply calling is correct.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:26 PM

Hi.
A few months ago, maybe june, I played those 1/2 6 max games for a little while. I played maybe 4,000 hands and dropped 200bb. I had played these games before and had always seemed to run real well, and didn't know why I was losing, but at that time I needed to win some worry-free cash so I moved back to full ring and sngs.
Anyway just four days ago, my friend showed me how to get around the school firewall here so I could play poker. I have plenty of cash to lose now and I always liked shorthanded, so I gave the soft party 1/2 a try again. I have played 1200 hands in 3 days and won 200bb. While I have made huge adjustments, there's no way I am 400bbs better than I was last time, or heck, even 40bbs better than last time. The variance is insane.
Keep plugging away and if you're playing well, or heck, if you're playing average, since the party 1/2 opposition is a mix of mediocre and terrible, I'm sure you'll have a great day and it will turn around for you.