Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 05:04 PM

Default No maximum Buy-in NL games

Hi,

Do you guys know any online pokerrooms where we can play No maximum buy-in NL Texas-Holdem games? I would prefer blinds of 1$/2$ and below.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: No maximum Buy-in NL games

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Do you guys know any online pokerrooms where we can play No maximum buy-in NL Texas-Holdem games? I would prefer blinds of 1$/2$ and below.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

TGC Poker has a table for $100/$200 blinds, 2,000/20,000 min/max buy-ins.

AFAIK all online NL tables have a max buy-in. Otherwise it'd give an advantage to the player with the biggest bankroll (although at the same time playing with your entire bankroll is stupid).
Old 10-05-2004, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK all online NL tables have a max buy-in. Otherwise it'd give an advantage to the player with the biggest bankroll (although at the same time playing with your entire bankroll is stupid).

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one thing i do not understand.... How can having more money on the table an advantage? In tourney's i can see how it is advantageous... But in a game where you can go into your pocket and pull out more money, i see no advantage with having a big stack...
Old 10-05-2004, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one thing i do not understand.... How can having more money on the table an advantage? In tourney's i can see how it is advantageous... But in a game where you can go into your pocket and pull out more money, i see no advantage with having a big stack...

[/ QUOTE ]

When there are two big stacks at a table, they can essentially up the blinds making it unprofitable for the smaller stacks to call with certain hands.

Say I'm at a NL 25 table and everyone has $25 stacks. I have 99 and someone raises to $3. I call after 1 other person calls hoping to make a set.

Say I'm at the same NL 25 table with a $25 stack. There are 2 other big stacks with $75 on either side of me. The one on the right raises to $3, I call. The one on the left reraises it to $6. I call again. This play is -EV in the long run, because I'm calling with a medium PP for set value for a quarter of my stack.

Even if I hit my set, I only get paid off a max of $50. If I had a stack of $100 (covering the other 2 big stacks), I could potentially make $150.

For this same reason I do not understand why people buy in less than the maximum at NL tables. On Party NL 25, you'll see people buying in for as little as $10. When I raise pre-flop, it's never going to be less than $3. If they ever call my $3 pre-flop raise, it's basically setting them all-in at that point as the pot is at least the same size as their stack.

Does that make sense? If there are any problems in my line of thinking, someone else more knowledgeable than I will probably point out my errors.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:08 PM

Implied odds become insane. If you can take someone's entire $1,000,000 stack with a $1 BB then any 2 cards are worth playing.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:08 PM

if you get a really good hand you will have everyone covered i guess?

rj
Old 10-05-2004, 06:19 PM

i assume you mean online. yes, bugsy's club has a unlimited buy in NL game with 1-2 blinds. havent played it in a long long time though, so couldnt tell you much about it.

they also have the best tourneys on the web.

fsuplayer
Old 10-05-2004, 06:23 PM

almost no one has unrestricted buy in games bc it would empty out the fish tank too fast. NL is already notorious for the edge good players have over bad ones, so the restricted buy in lessens that edge.

fsuplayer
Old 10-05-2004, 06:25 PM

By the way, I wasnt planning to put 10K on a 1$/2$ table but I think that the 50BB-100BB is not enough. I prefer to play with a deep stack so I can play the game in a different way. 200-250BB would be nice.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I wasnt planning to put 10K on a 1$/2$ table but I think that the 50BB-100BB is not enough. I prefer to play with a deep stack so I can play the game in a different way. 200-250BB would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute's NL tables have a 200BB max buyin. There's a lot of nut peddlers as a result, very little action.