Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 03:28 PM

Default The scare card from hell $50NL

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($46.25)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($49.50)</font>
<font color="C00000">SB ($194.95)</font>
BB ($59.80)
UTG ($31.70)
MP ($52.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, BB calls $3, MP calls $3, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, SB calls $7, BB folds, MP folds.

Turn: ($30) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks

Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: The scare card from hell $50NL

Here are my noobie plans

1: Bet half the pot, fold to a large raise. If he calls and checks the river, check through. If he calls and bets the river it depends on how much it will cost to call, but you are probably toast.

2. Check the turn, call up to a 2/3 bet on the river.

In the heat of combat I probably go with plan 2, I like to see a showdown here, or draw out cheaply!!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:06 PM

This sucks, as you very well may still be in the lead on this draw heavy board, but if you make a move at the pot you are basically pot stuck. I'd probably bet half the pot, $15, and be done with the hand if he raises or leads the river.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are my noobie plans

1: Bet half the pot, fold to a large raise. If he calls and checks the river, check through. If he calls and bets the river it depends on how much it will cost to call, but you are probably toast.

2. Check the turn, call up to a 2/3 bet on the river.

In the heat of combat I probably go with plan 2, I like to see a showdown here, or draw out cheaply!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i was debating between these two plays also.... i think i like checking better. i don't see him folding on the turn (unless he had a 6,5, or PP), and you're going to be in a real awkward spot if he calls the turn and then leads out on the river, especially if one of the draws gets there. then you pray you get to check behind on the river.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sucks, as you very well may still be in the lead on this draw heavy board, but if you make a move at the pot you are basically pot stuck. I'd probably bet half the pot, $15, and be done with the hand if he raises or leads the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet out *groan* $8. I checked through on the river only to see him turn up 87o for a busted straight. I then stabbed myself in the eye.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 PM

Um, how about check/fold?

Nothing that you beat will call you and anyone you beat (which isn't much) will not bet very often (if the player has some grasp of the game he assumes you are checking a ffh for action on the river) ... You have a pair of 6's crappy kicker, mid level pp's now beat you as well as any 6 + higher kicker. Betting is just losing yourself money I think long term...
Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 PM

I don't see the point of an $8 bet on the turn.

It certainly isn't a value bet, and it screams weakness. I think this will open you to all kinds of hell if the player is any good.

Checking through the river is fine. I mean, there is certainly no reason to bet it.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:46 PM

If your opponent has a king, you're dead. There's no way your hand can improve. So I'm with check/fold here. If none of the draws complete on the river, I'd call a small bet from SB, but too many hands beat you to want to invest any more in this hand.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:51 PM

his betting pattern strongly suggests to me that he has a weak king or an underpair. check behind on the turn and hope for a 5 or a 6 to bust him with a boat, if not, call a small river bet, fold to a big one.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:53 PM

Do you honestly believe you could have gotten THAT much more money out of him without a LAG label? No need to hurt ones eye over this hand [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]