Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Q9o?
Raise 32 13.06%
Fold 213 86.94%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Canterbury 8/16, Preflop question

I raise, but I don't think there's much to be gained by knocking players out. Its a raise purely for value. 99 will win more than its fair share against a bunch of limpers. Especially as the number of limpers cuts down on the possibility of domination by a higher pocket pair. Raise it up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 11:34 AM

It's certainly a value raise, and I regret neglecting to mention that in my post. But knocking players out is an excellent supporting argument in this case, particularly if it will buy you the button.

-McGee
Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
particularly if it will buy you the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
The button has next to no value in this hand. In fact, button would probably be the deciding factor for my play in this situation - I wouldn't raise if I thought a raise would knock button out.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
particularly if it will buy you the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
The button has next to no value in this hand. In fact, button would probably be the deciding factor for my play in this situation - I wouldn't raise if I thought a raise would knock button out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this please? I'm more than a bit lost.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 PM

Limp everytime, you don't have a large enough equity edge to justify raising with 5 limpers preflop. When you're up against that many opponents play 99 for set value.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:39 PM

For the most part, CP games play so passively that I think the four swings at a set is the overriding factor on this hand, assuming all of your opponents can remember who raised preflop.

The other thing that makes me like the raise, is that if you make the set on the turn after the flop gets checked through, you could potentially be facing a lot of action before it gets to you, and could win a pot that you need the circus pony to jump over when all those yellow chips start flying.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Limp, raising here builds the pot up too much, if the flop comes up where you have an overpair rainbow it provides all the more incentive for someone to stay in and draw you out with overcards.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the most part, CP games play so passively that I think the four swings at a set is the overriding factor on this hand, assuming all of your opponents can remember who raised preflop.

The other thing that makes me like the raise, is that if you make the set on the turn after the flop gets checked through, you could potentially be facing a lot of action before it gets to you, and could win a pot that you need the circus pony to jump over when all those yellow chips start flying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last I checked we needed 22:1 to draw to our set past the flop. it's unlikely we'll be getting those odds.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last I checked we needed 22:1 to draw to our set past the flop. it's unlikely we'll be getting those odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

re-read the reply