Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: really weird AJ hand 3/6

[ QUOTE ]
he mucked, and I took the pot down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave this part out as an argument and you will be respected more. It is irrelevant.

You're right, the vast majority of the time, you won't fold a better hand in a SS game when raising AJo UTG. However, AJ plays better against one or two inferior hands than it does against 5 inferior hands. I don't think the SB raise is horrible if you truly believe you would have seen a raise from a better hand than AJo, but I personally wouldn't raise it there unless I was supremely confident in my post-flop play.

Basically, you know all those limpers are coming along and with that many opponents, I'd rather not build a huge pot with a hand that is likely to only make a pair of Aces, decent kicker. Or top pair, best kicker on a bunched up board.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:02 PM

I'm not trying to gain respect, or win an argument, I'm posting results.

I also challenge that AJ plays "better" against 1 or 2 hands, than 5. It may win MORE OFTEN, but I bet it's expectation is less.

Top pair top kicker, or pair of aces middle kicker, wins alot of pots.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:09 PM

It certainly came across as a justification for your play. You're getting a lot of people who disagree with what you did. Take that for what it's worth. Congratulations on winning the hand though.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't raise this pre-flop. Even with loose limpers. Your hand doesn't play well against many players. Creating a big pot gives them better implied odds to try and draw out. AJs, yes, raise. Big off-suit hands, complete and look for a favorable flop.

Turn: wasn't a good turn for you. I fold. Next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 PM

I find it amusing that when someone posts without reads on the players in the pot they are trashed for not having reads, and then when someone does have a read and acts on it, they also get trashed.

The original poster probably induced hands that were weak but ahead to fold (I'm thinking middle pair), and won the pot because the button was bluffing.

This seems like a clear case of an accurate read and a shrewd analasys of the situation turning a fold into a profitable play.