Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Is folding KK ever correct? Caesars Indiana live $100 MTT

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever folded KK pre-flop (in a MTT) ?

No. And if I ever do, take me out an shoot me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have never laid down KK before, you are not a good MTT player. If you can not sniff out an obvious AA, you are not a good player.

However, you can't get carried away at start to fold KK almost routinely to a raise and a reraise.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:59 PM

I've folded KK to a limp reraise when i was sure the guy had KK ir AA, it went like this (me on button)
UTG+1 limps for 100
3 folds
3 calls
I make it 600 to go,
UTG goes all in for 4000
4 folds.

However in thsi structure no you can't fold it, unless of course you're 100% sure of AA, I'd fold JJ or QQ in this position and you can tell yourself he probably has KK or at least AK but to fold KK, no I wouldn't.
of course if you two are chip leading a tourny and he moves all in and you're pretty sure he'd only do it with AA/KK feel free to fold, but I woulnd't fold it in this position.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: OK, verdict is in..........thanks

[ QUOTE ]
I never realized until too late, that you are
indeed forced to gamble.
I think folding KK is probably an OK move if you are
ITM at the final table, and there are a couple of all-ins
ahead of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 11xBB. I don't care if nine people are allin in front of you, this is a call.

The situations where people fold KK are with very deep money and good players, such as a big cash game or early in a major tournament. Sometimes with a thrid or fourth raise allin, ou suspect your opponent has aces. Here the money is not deep enough for three raises.

I would never fold KK at a final table, because the money isn't deep enough.

Poker is a gambling game. If you are not willing to gamble, you will not do well at it. This sort of play is known as weak/tight.

If you are making folds this bad, you are not at the level where you should be considering folding KK under any circumstances.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:27 AM

I agree with all of the above is that it's a bad fold given the circumstances but what I don't understand is that you declared "all-in" out of turn was were then able to fold. Are these house rules or why wasn't your word binding. Normally when you act out of turn the action should stand regardless or what the other player has yet to do. For instance if you had said "raise" not realising that the other player had yet to act and he turned out to raise then you would have to re-raise. Those are the rules and I don't see how you were allowed to fold.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:46 AM

Just what I was thinking.
How come you were allowed to fold??

Cheers

DD
Old 06-07-2005, 11:03 AM

I'll throw in my sarcastic remark...

You should fold this only if you folded AA on the previous hand.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:08 AM

I'm very surprised at this fold. I have heard of ver good, high stakes players folding KK preflop - but they have an excellent read to go along with the play. If you know that a player would only go all-in undercertain conditions w/ AA, then you fold KK under those conditions.

Your post does not seem to mesh with that reasoning. You simply had a "feeling" that the guy had AA. Also, the blinds are going up fast and you don't have that many chips. Of course you go all-in with the K's!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 AM

There are some cases where you can fold KK, for example UTG limps, you raise, 2-3 people after you raise/go all-in and UTG goes all-in. Even if UTG dont have aces, which seems likely, it sure looks like someone has em. This is especially true if you have a solid and tight table image (which would make people reluctant to reraise with QQ).

With only a raise and reraise before you, there is no way you can lay down KK. The only exception would be if the reraiser is a top-player who goes all-in and has less chips than the original raiser, and therefore would be very scared of being busted.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 AM

First off, you should have been forced to go all in. Those are the rules.

Second - ask yourself this - you hold AA, utg player raised to 3x blind, you are about to reraise when some over-eager guy next to you says "all in" - what do you do?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...I said I'm all-in and the guy freaks a little telling me he has'nt acted yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had AA, feaking out would be the last thing I would do if someone tried to push out of position. I'd be licking my chops trying to figure how much to bet while still allowing MP to push.

That in itself would convince me MHIG and I would push KK.

That being said, you went with your read. It was wrong but get over it and move on. That's poker...blah, blah, blah.