Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 08:18 PM

Default suited one-card-separated-connectors

I know there's a better name for HE hands like 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but I forget what it is.

I'm trying to do an analysis of how many limpers I need to even consider playing them at the micro-levels (you know, some say play 'em with enough limpers, some say fold 'em). I need the probabalities of flopping a 4-flush, OESD, two-pair, trips, boats, etc. I think I can calculate these probabilities, and I'm sure I can simulate them, but I suspect they've been discussed here before. Does anyone know a link? Would anyone like me to post the numbers, or at least my attempt, when I get them? Thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: suited one-card-separated-connectors

I only play them in unraised pots in the big blind position. At least the lower ones. Maybe sometimes in the small blind position if there are a lot of limpers or if the card values are high enough. I'm probably a bit tight though.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only play them in unraised pots in the big blind position. At least the lower ones. Maybe sometimes in the small blind position if there are a lot of limpers or if the card values are high enough. I'm probably a bit tight though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there was some side-discussion in the micro-limit forums on playing this or not. I have generally stopped playing them, but I am starting to think if I have a bunch of passive opponents calling and no pre-flop raisers, I might be able to get away with it from the button. Really though, I'm more interested in just proving it to myself that it is a bad/good play.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:35 PM

I remrmber reading somewhere, that after millions of simulated hands, one-gap suited connectors did equally well as no-gap suited connectors.
I like playing them from late position against one or two big stacks. Sometimes I raise with 24, or 35. Easy to get away from and they pay off well when you hit the flop.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:39 AM

I've been wondering about these. I can believe they are better/as good as (in terms of EV) 0-gappers because
1) easier to get away from
2) IF they make a straight, it's more hidden than a 0-gapper straight (say you have 54 or 53, would a flop of 32A be more scary to opponents, or 42A? the first one, I'm thinking), so would be more profitable if played right
3) Again, if it makes a straight, it tends to spoil the upper end of the straight for others. For example you have 54s, and land 876, a single 9 held elsewhere or a turn/river of a 9 or T easily ruins your hand, - not so much so with 53s and 764

Check the EV stats for 10 players on http://www.pokerroom.com/games/evsta...php?players=10
- this shows in the main the EV for 1-gappers is a little lower, but it's how you play em, isn't it!