Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 01:10 AM

Default NL HU hand

Blinds 10-20 I have 1450 and my opponent 1550. Quarterfinals, headsup match, World Cup of Poker.

I have 82o in the BB, my opponent completes in the button, I check, he looks like a solid player.

Flop 8cQd2d

I bet 40, he raises me to 140,

What should I do next?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: NL HU hand

he either has a queen and is putting you on mid pair, or you're way behind.

I raise to 300.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:25 AM

What is your plan lethal if you raise to 300.

That is, if he reraises then you?

If he just calls then in the turn you?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your plan lethal if you raise to 300.

That is, if he reraises then you?

If he just calls then in the turn you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to go bust here, if the has a set or 2 pair he's earned it. I probably call the raise and see the action on the turn, anything but a Q I c/r allin
Old 04-18-2005, 01:55 AM

My initial reaction was the opposite. I think that Villain has 2 diamonds and is putting you on Qx. He may even have 8x of diamonds assuming you don't have it.

I'd reraise as well and call any reraise, even allin and consider pushing on any non-Q non-diamond turn.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:57 AM

I actually watched this hand unfold, but I can't say I would have played it much differently. I think you were pretty unfortunate that he had what he had.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 AM

I watched this Sirio and reckon that it is just about the worst flop possible for you. When he pops you back for the 140 I think you either have to bin it there and then or go all in. Don't particularly like the 300 re-raise option.

Very unlucky combination of cards and difficult to see how anyone in your position could have got away from this.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:27 AM

Hi,

Being the opponent in the hand, I think my actions are fine. However, if I'd held your hand I'm not sure what I'd have done.

I may have bet the flop as you did, or gone for a c/r on the flop. Or maybe called a bet and see what appeared on the turn.

I do however think the all-in re-re-raise is a mistake. The blinds are still low and there is plenty play left in the game. If I have Qx or diamonds or a pair with diamonds or the like I'm going to fold as there isn't any need to play the hand at this stage in the game. If I have 2 pair or better I'm going to call when well ahead.

So what to do against the re-raise on flop? Either call and see what happens, or make a raise to something like 400. (You can't fold two pair to this flop) If I re-raise (which I would have in this case) you can fold and stay in the game. All-in is only likely to get called by a hand you are in big trouble to as I'm pretty much forced to fold one pair or flush draw hands.

When you went all-in I expected you to turn up 22, or big diamond draw. A tough break for you in the end. You may well have ended up all-in here whatever happened. I might have too. But as Doyle says, don't get broke in a un-raised pot.

Cheers

Dave
Old 04-18-2005, 08:02 AM

Since everyone else seems to know, will you share? Was it QQ? I'm assuming 88 would have raised preflop.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:03 AM

It is very tough to get away from 2p HU, especially if you don't have any concrete read. I think that on the flop you might want to reraise him (not all-in), or call and see the turn. You don't have position which is also a problem. I think this is not a good enough hand in this point to push, because it will definitely be higher EV for you to let your opponent play his Qx strong. On the turn, if it doesn't look dangarous, pushing is better (or some kind of check/raise, depending on the action).

If he has you beaten on the flop already, it is a pity, but not a lot you can do about it, IMO. The thing to remember is that a good player will probably not call all-in on the flop here with hands that you beat, most of the time, and there's a pretty healthy chance that if you reraise and he pushes he has you beaten and you can fold this hand so early in the match. Against bad opponents there's a greater chance they'll call you or re-re-raise all-in with worse hands, so it's an easier play.