Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Big Bets Per Session

Have any of you guys kept track of this. I'd really like to see what kind of swings I'll be facing.

I've played 4 sessions, about 500 hands each.

+35
+31

So I'm down 44 BB after 2000 hands. I realize this sample is nothing, I'm not dumb. But I'd like to see what you guys go through as far as daily swings.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Big Bets Per Session

I don't know, but my standard deviation is around 17/100.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:44 PM

Somehow knowing the standard deviation doesn't help me picture the path as well as a list of 20 sessions would.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:45 PM

Wow, it's almost frightening that you posted this today. I was just logging on to make a similar post myself. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I just started played $5/$10 6 max at Party. In my first 1000 (or so) hands, I made about $1000.....great! The next day, I lost that $1000 over a few more sessions. Now, after a few more sessions, I'm down about another $250. In summary, that's up 100 BB's then down 125 BB's over the course of 3-4 days.

In my last few sessions, I've been noticing an increased number of suckouts on the river lately - lucky two pairs, and the like. And I don't feel like I've been playing overly badly. But, I start to question myself after a $1250 downswing.... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I've heard that 6 max games are very 'swingy.' Perhaps the more experienced 6 max players can help us out: What type of swings do you guys usually go through?

Thanks,

Adam
Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow knowing the standard deviation doesn't help me picture the path as well as a list of 20 sessions would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as intuitively, perhaps, but the SD gives you a more accurate indication of what to expect. For 500 hands, with an SD of 18, you can expect that ~two-thirds of your sessions will fall between +/- 40 BB around your expected win. Of course, this means that a third of the time, you'll see swings even beyond this - pretty big fluctuations, yes, but just part of the game.

For a +3BB/100 hands player, a -85BB session such as you describe may be well out of the usual but by no means unheard of - on average, it will happen once every 160 sessions or so.