Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Trying to make the move to 6max - Suggestions?

As of late, i've been 4 tabling 1/2 with 3 full ring and 1 6max game, with a little extra focus being put on my 6max game. I'm trying to slowly make the transition to playing more 6max. As with any new game, I'm sure there are OBVIOUS huge leaks that people make when they first start. Any insight into 6max that people can offer so my growing pains aren't so bad?

1. I see lots of AXo being played and calling to river with A high. Clearly the calling down can't be profitable, but is it even THINKABLE to play AXo for anything other than a blind steal? A4o being played UTG regularly? really?! can't be profitable. these MUST just be fishy fishies.

2. Position is more important in 6max, yes? However, don't certain hands strengthen as well since less cards are being dealt? Like very marginal hands such as QJo UTG? Certainly not a great hand and something i never EVER play in early pos in full ring, but as first or second to act 6 max, is this hand worth entering the pot early with?

3. Big pocket pair - i see a LOT of people not 3 betting with their QQ and KK pre-flop so that they can check raise flop or turn.. I'm sure there are instances even in full ring games here and there in higher limits against tricky players where this is appropriate. But is this something regularly done in 6 max?

4. PF raising - NOT including blind steals, do you open it up a bit, or stick to the usual PF raise-able hands? Clearly I'm raising 77-AA and KJs and better, but what about KTs, QTs, JTs, AJo, KQ, KJo and others? I suppose everyone agrees AJo, but what about others...

...Just any general tidbits for a newbie to 6max would be great!
Old 10-17-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Trying to make the move to 6max - Suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]

...Just any general tidbits for a newbie to 6max would be great!

[/ QUOTE ]

before each session, have a friend punch you in the stomach. twice.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Trying to make the move to 6max - Suggestions?

Try this post and the thread that spawned it. Use the goddam search function. And ask the people in the HUSH forum, since they play 6-max. But they probably won't answer you because those snobbish, clique-heavy know-it-alls are even more arrogant then we are.