Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Jerry Falwell et al

For some perverse reason people like this intrigue me. He's on CNN talking about expecting "the rapture" in his life time.
I can't quite figure out how what makes people like him tick. Is he in for the money, or does he really believe what he is saying? It seems strange that a person with enough grey matter to set up a multi million dollar scam, would at the same time believe in something like "god"

Sometimes I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Falwell, Swaggert, Jim and Tammy, and the rest of their ilk were getting their businesses going.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Jerry Falwell et al

Heh, I love these guys. I really believe that their egos are so big they believe themselves saints, can do no wrong, and should be judge jury and executioner to everyone else. For Bobs sake, Pat Robertson is practically a conflict diamond slaver, and he claims he's gonna be the first to be saved? The balls on these guys.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Jerry Falwell et al

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
For some perverse reason people like this intrigue me. He's on CNN talking about expecting "the rapture" in his life time.
I can't quite figure out how what makes people like him tick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rapture in Christian eschaetology is a belief that before, during, or after the "great tribulation" God will remove his believers from the earth to spare them something horrible.

The subject is very wide if you haven't researched it but I'm sure Wikipedia can fill you in.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

Is he in for the money, or does he really believe what he is saying? It seems strange that a person with enough grey matter to set up a multi million dollar scam, would at the same time believe in something like "god"

Sometimes I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Falwell, Swaggert, Jim and Tammy, and the rest of their ilk were getting their businesses going.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are quite a few televangelists who use it to make money and are not really of the faith they preach. I don't know much about Falwell, but I did read that he thought 9/11 was God punishing homosexuals, if that's true IMHO he should read Revelation again and buy himself a clue. If 9/11 was a tool from God IMHO it was a lead up to something much bigger than homosexuality, like the begining of the use of the word "terrorism" to begin to compromise civil rights and increase civilian alarm that they are 'not safe' for which eventually certain 'measures' will be taken to ensure a safer world from the 'nasty terrorists who could strike at any moment!'. (subtitles: better do what we say, we'll protect you &lt;&lt;terror level elevated&gt;&gt [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If Falwell can't see that then I don't believe he can preach "the truth".