Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Who can mankind have not lived without?

I have the germ of an idea. I am not sure exactly where we can take it this notion, so I will throw it out here for a starter of a discussion.

If we take a look at where we (mankind) are now - I am thinking in terms such as ethics, overall global thinking, quality of life - whatever category we deem important to include - anything material (worth it) enough to be included - looking back in history, rank a few individuals who have made things totally different than things would be had they not lived.

For example, Einstein, Jesus, Darwin. Now for the sake of discussion, I am saying the things they did, taught, discovered would not have been accomplished yet, up to this point in time (had they not lived). And no one else would have done what they did.

Then once we have a list, I want to see is : Who can be eliminated? Who would we eliminate? Who cannot be eliminated? Who should not be eliminated. Example Darwin - he doesn’t publish until the year 2010 so we don’t have him, yet. Can we do without him and still get by having never had him around. In this example, can we erase him (therefore evolution) and still not really care that much.

For these last set of questions, I am thinking in the pure form. For example Jesus - I find it hard to erase Him and still say we are just as well off or would be better off if He was erased. One can argue that man has uses his name for bad - wars , whatever. That is obvious and should not be considered in the discussion. The pure thought of the person on the list is the only thing of relevance here?

I think if this is of interest: we can post some folk, give a brief idea why you think the person should be included. Kind of a nomination for the list to be compiled to be judged then in a new post. Judged for agreement on those that can be eliminated and those that cannot.