Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Default When Are You Changing Gears?

<font color="blue">This is a multi-question post, thanks in advance for any of your opinions. </font>

It seems that every time I am getting ready to switch things up or “change gears” action will break out on a hand and sure enough my table gets broken up.

I spend a considerable amount of time trying to establish a certain image at a table (for those players that are paying attention), and then I like to change playing styles. I usually do the standard start out tight then break into a little wild streak trying to push more. I try to get in on some of the tail end of the “frivolous betting” before the breaks on re-buy tourneys. Then after the break I usually revert back to solid play. It seems that players only have a memory for the past 4-5 orbits, so I don’t seem to have much luck playing long outside my usual tight-aggressive mode once the table sees me take down more than two pots without a showdown.

Do any of you have an opinion on how long it takes others to realize that you are now playing looser?

Then when the money is in sight I open up again and start trying to push pots against those who appear to be just trying to make the money. I usually build some significant chips up in this stage. Although at the wrong table this move doesn’t work as well. I try to vary my raises PF so if someone moves all-in I can get away and not be hurt too bad by it, then build back over the next couple orbits.

When are you changing gears? At what stages? For how long?

How are you adjusting if you table breaks up right when you are changing it up?[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: When Are You Changing Gears?

Changing gears for me doesnt have as much to do with my table image as it does my stack size and how deep into the tournament i am.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:10 AM

So at what stages are you changing? What is your playing style/mode when you do?

Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 12:41 PM

If I am 60 bb or larger and blinds are above 200.

I am playing any Ace, 2Face(inc 10's), Suited connectors down to 4 Including 2-3 gappers, King with any card above 7, and any pairs, this includes being out of position.

It usually takes them 1-2 Orbits to realize I am now stealing, and or Playing infinitely looser then i was.

After bubble comes, I wouldnt play any bad hands out of position.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:13 PM

I agree with exit only that for me in MTT, especially online, changing gears has more to do with stack size than with table image. For me I try to change gear to go from my typical tight/tight-agressive play into LAG mode a level or a few orbits before the large presence of short stacks turns it into push/fold. In otherwords I try to open up just a little before the table does. Timing that right is still a work in progress for me.