Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Why does everyone talk so bad about sunglasses?

Basically because it's hilarious when some dude shows up in sunglasses, acting all serious and whatnot in low stakes games.

If there was a lot of glare and bright light in a poker room I could understand the "reasons", otherwise it's amusing.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically because it's hilarious when some dude shows up in sunglasses, acting all serious and whatnot in low stakes games.

If there was a lot of glare and bright light in a poker room I could understand the "reasons", otherwise it's amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you call a game that produces pots that climb into the 2-3k range a "small stakes game"???
for 99% of all the players on here, that is not a low stakes game.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Well, I guess he meant small stakes as in the blinds 1/2. I used to wear sunglasses when I first started because I was afraid I was going to give off a tell. I am mainly a limit player now, so glasses are not needed at the levels I play at.

If I was ever playing with pros or a big final table or something then I might invest in a nice pair. I don't see the big deal, if people want to wear them let them wear them. Glasses are minor compared to the people that wear the hoods and glasses and hat and whatever else.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although there I do not wear sunglasses, there are times that I wish I was. For example, I sometimes find myself counting the pot in the middle of the hand. Anybody with half a brain should be able to tell that I am on a draw and calculating pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't have to count how much money is in the pot in the middle of your hand. You should know how much is in the pot at all times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say this also. With just a bit of practice you can keep track of the bets as they are happening.

Occasionally I see people get stuck and it seems obvious they are on a draw so they raise to disguise it. I can't be wearing sunglasses because I feel I miss too much. Just my preference.

Also I do seem to notice (at least where I play) that most of the guys wearing shades are awful. Probably just a trend do to tv poker.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Does anyone really \"talk bad\" about sunglasses ? Really ?

I have never once heard anyone critique someone for wearing sunglasses in any live brick and mortar game. Does it really occur ? Did anyone ever complain about it on television, which is the de facto Miss Manners of Poker etiquiette.

Does it put the wearer on tilt or something ??
Old 07-30-2005, 05:16 PM

Is there not a 100 max buyin? How the hell can you get 2-3k pots in 1/2 NL?? Or perhaps you are exaggerating a tad huh.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there not a 100 max buyin? How the hell can you get 2-3k pots in 1/2 NL?? Or perhaps you are exaggerating a tad huh.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, man, there is not a max buy-in. Please do some research before you open your mouth and insert your foot next time. You can buyin for whatever you want at the Gold Strike. The minimum buyin is 100. I usually buyin for at least 500, but if someone at the table has more, I will buyin for whatever they have in front of them.

Someone else please post in this thread that has actually played in the 1/2nl at the Gold Strike to verify that the pots can get as big as I have already stated in this thread.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:54 PM

There's a pot limit 2/4 omaha game in dublin, I've seen 5k pots, i $hit you not. I usually pay in the weekly tournys, Sometimes I have play in the $50 min buy-in PL holdem, there's no max buy in.

http://www.fitzwilliamcardclub.com/ -> this place rocks.

Always a great atmosphere, most of the dealers are of college age, all obsessed with poker (they play on their nights off).

The players are a great mix, lots of manics (and I mean MANIACS ), some great players (last week i seen a lady fold to a pot size bet, the board was A K 8 rainbow, she flashed AK, the better showed pocket 8s, and this lady ain't week/tight).

I've never sat at a table that wasn't friendly. And of course there's no smoking allowed.

Brian Power
Old 07-31-2005, 03:33 PM

Ahhhh.....Ireland. My heart jumped for a second because Dublin, Ca is down the highway a few minutes and I thought I might be missing something. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

FWIW, since this thread is already severely hijacked, 1-2NL games can and do get pots in the thousands of dollars. Anyone who states anything to the contrary simply hasn't been to a B&M larger than the neighbor's garage.

Onaflag..........
Old 07-31-2005, 03:49 PM

a 2+2er "missing something" ? as if!