Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 04:18 PM

Default SMALL flush draws? WORTH it?

$2/$5 6-Max Table.

You are BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You have the table covered.

Everybody limps, you check. 6 players see flop:

FLOP($30) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

You lead $20.
UTG($500) calls, UTG+1($150) calls, CO($420) raises to $75

Call or fold? Raise is offering 3-1 at this point.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: SMALL flush draws? WORTH it?

Let's assume that the villian has a made hand here, trying to shut out the flush draw. Let's assume here that he has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. That's not too far fetched. Maybe he's playing a weaker ace, but either way catching a Queen or a Ten will not necessarily improve your hand in the slightest.

So let's review your position. You have a flush draw and a gutshot straight draw. Against A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Board: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 40.5051 % [ 00.41 00.00 ] { Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] }
Hand 2: 59.4949 % [ 00.59 00.00 ] { A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] }

So you're getting a pretty good price to call here because you'll make your hand a significant amount of the time. Villian could have TPTK and a flush draw, but I suspect he wouldn't limp against that many players with AKs. Even AJo seems suspect for limping into a multiway pot. What is your read of villian?

One of the other players might be on a stronger flush draw than you, so you must take that into consideration. If you hit your king (4 outs, happens 16% of the time), you can consider yourself having the best hand unless the king is a club and someone is on a higher flush draw. So 12% of the time, you'll get the absolute best made hand, and 36% of the time you'll hit your flush, which is a very powerful hand against these opponents. I would call and hope to improve on the turn. If I didn't improve on the turn I would lay down a blocking bet, and fold to a raise.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:11 PM

call and its not close. Also notice that you have a gutshot to the nuts.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:42 PM

the best part about just calling and not moving in is that if you hit the king it is extremely well disguised, if you can get a good price just calling with double gutters and flush draws or this type of hand is highly deceptive

just have to balance it with being oop on the turn with a big draw and having let the pot get too big and get pushed out by an all in...ick
Old 05-16-2005, 09:58 PM

The only thing that I'm worried about here with a call is that you're not closing the action. There are two players left to act behind you, and if either one of them has the nut flush draw, they're calling, However, I would have guessed they would raise you on the flop with this hand.

Furthermore, if either one of these players slowplays with any frequency, I would suspect a raise at this point, with the extra money in the pot from the flop action.

If neither one of these players is very tricky, I think you have to call, especially since one or both of them is likely to call, giving you even better pot odds.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:26 AM

Why you lead out against 6 players if you donīt know what to do if raised?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:59 AM

What's the deal with everyone always suggesting blocking bets? They're getting to be way overused.

If a blocking bet is a good idea on the turn, then he should have raised all in on the flop. A blocking bet is not going to slow AJ or just about any hand that would have folded on the flop.

My advise is to call. You've got too many players in the pot to count on the reraise working. Unless you have a read of course, but if you did, this hand probably wouldn't have been difficult for you.

Unfortunately, if both draws miss for you on the turn, you'll like have fold there, as most players would absolutely kill your odds there.

David
Old 05-17-2005, 04:45 PM

I'm suprised that everyone thought this was a call. At the time I thought it was close, but called anyway, as did both players behind me.

Turn was a blank and for some reason the flop raiser only bet $100 (pot was $300) on the turn, which everyone called. I hit the flush on river and lost to the King flush.

Was this just unlucky or avoidable?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 PM

As long as you didn't raise with the queen flush on the river, your play is fine. More often than not you'll see a lower flush than yours if it's six to the flop.

You didn't say who had the king flush. If you led the river and got raised all in, you really can't fold the second nuts. But you can't re-raise them if you got min-raised or raised less than your stack.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:57 PM

First off, Q high flush draw isn't that small. There are plenty of times when you'll run into a smaller draw.

Secondly, 3 kings give you the nuts.

I think that the only way that you could have won this pot would have been with a flop re-raise. You'll make your draw about 45% of the time, and your fold equity is huge with a re-raise. I would think that player with the K high draw has to lay down to that. And the only hands that have you in bad shape are A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or a set.

Whether or not a re-raise is a good move is very player dependant. If you think there's not much chance that it'll take down the pot, then I like just calling and taking the juicy pot odds you're being given.

As far as losing to the the K flush on the river, just unlucky. Hope you didn't lose too much.