Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-01-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Transferring my stuff over to a new PC

Am getting a new PC in 5 hours or so. This PC is 6.5 years old. I want to get rid of it in a week or so, but don't want to leave any files on it that might later prove useful.

What I am planning to transfer

i) My entire C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2 folder

ii) I probably have some emails in my outlook express folder that are worth keeping. 99.9% of them are disposable but I can't be bothered top go through them at the moment. Is there a folder conatining all my emails?

iii) I probably have some word/excel docs that are worth keeping. 99.9% of them are disposable but I can't be bothered top go through them at the moment. Will have a route round for them.

iv) Some random photos people have sent me on msn, plus some other crap.

I am just planning to send them to my d: which is a CD R. Will then put the CD(s) in my new system and pop them in the C: Is there any smarter way to do this, maybe zip them up or something?

Ty,

Dean
Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Transferring my stuff over to a new PC

[ QUOTE ]

ii) I probably have some emails in my outlook express folder that are worth keeping. 99.9% of them are disposable but I can't be bothered top go through them at the moment. Is there a folder conatining all my emails?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, search for *.dbx in the Windows search, the folder location varies depending on Windows/OE versions.

[ QUOTE ]

I am just planning to send them to my d: which is a CD R. Will then put the CD(s) in my new system and pop them in the C: Is there any smarter way to do this, maybe zip them up or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfectly good approach. Depending on size, you might save a CD if there's a lot of stuff by zip-compressing it all before writing to CD.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Perfectly good approach. Depending on size, you might save a CD if there's a lot of stuff by zip-compressing it all before writing to CD.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the easiest way to do this?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:31 AM

Install winzip from www.winzip.com

Get everything you want to compress together in one folder (which can include subfolders, they are preserved within the zip file).

Select everything in the folder to get zipped, right click on the highlighted files and choose Winzip, then "Add to foldername.zip" from the submenu.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:12 PM

It's probably too much trouble if you're only doing this once but you can use a null modem cable between the serial ports of both. windows used to include terminal software (or at least OS/2 did) to control the ports. Transfer rate is low (8b/16b?). Probably more trouble than it's worth but it's an option (the cable shouldn't be more than a few bucks) for large xfers computer-to-computer...

Mike
Old 07-02-2005, 04:49 PM

If you will be able to access internet from both computers, you can just send a folder through AIM or any instante messnager. Another alternative is to just email yourself everything and open it up on your new computer.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:24 PM

If you are using XP there is a nice wizard under Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Files and Setting Transfer Wizard that you can use to transfer emails and all the settings from your old computer to the new one. I've used it before and it works pretty good. You need to have both computers on a network, connected via a null cable, or have a removable drive like a USB thumb disk or something to transfer with.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:34 PM

How big is your hard drive? Unless you upgraded it, chances are it's small if it is 6.5 years old. If your new system has a DVD burner you may be able to back it up to a DVD.

The easiest thing to do is just put the old hard drive in your new computer and copy the files that you need when you have time.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The easiest thing to do is just put the old hard drive in your new computer and copy the files that you need when you have time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have a PhD in "duh". This is the fastest and simplest...

Mike
Old 07-03-2005, 08:15 PM

also, just an FYI Norton Ghost will make a mirror image of your entire original drive and put it on the new drive. You just temporarily put the original drive in the new computer to do this also. I know this might be more than you need though.