Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: I have a show down hand, so, I go to show down...

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously this is very contingent on the fact that we assume villain will 5-bet a range that includes AK and that he'd bet the flop and the turn with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I am going to assign percentages as well to make the analysis a little more robust.

[ QUOTE ]

I kind of wonder if this is a case for calling the turn and folding the river, basically on the idea that villain's range gets considerably smaller once he bets the river. I'd obviously be wary of this against an astute opponent who might be aware that you were trying this, or against a donkish opponent who just figures he should bet AK because, well, it's AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll see if I can incorporate this too somehow.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously this is very contingent on the fact that we assume villain will 5-bet a range that includes AK and that he'd bet the flop and the turn with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I am going to assign percentages as well to make the analysis a little more robust.

[ QUOTE ]

I kind of wonder if this is a case for calling the turn and folding the river, basically on the idea that villain's range gets considerably smaller once he bets the river. I'd obviously be wary of this against an astute opponent who might be aware that you were trying this, or against a donkish opponent who just figures he should bet AK because, well, it's AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll see if I can incorporate this too somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hotness...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:26 PM

Given what you did preflop and how he responded, i think there are two options. Call the flop and fold the turn UI, or check/call the whole way absent of an ace falling.

Raising the flop seems bad, unless he's completely nuts and is known to overplay hands like AQ preflop.

Calling the turn and folding a blank river because you think that no reasonable player would bet an A high here is really bad i think. The pot is way too big to fold to 1 bet with a pair.

I agree with 4 betting preflop if he's an 'aware' player. His 3bet range is probably pretty broad versus what appears to be a LP blind steal, if that's the case. You also have him folding hands earlier on that have odds to draw, but won't out of fear that they're drawing extremely slim on account of your 4bet.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:31 PM

Very good reasoning. I'm interesed in how JBB calculations will turn out.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:45 AM

JBB drop it.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Joe if one of the normal posters on this forum or an unknown had posted this hand i would have jumped on here and said that letting five bets go in pre flop is spewage so i guess i will be honest and say i think it is spewage. I would have called the three bet and raised a safe flop which you got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an aggressive player, the value of initiative with small pairs in heads-up pots (particularly in position) is huge. The basic point of the 4 bet is two-fold:

1. If TAG calls the four-bet and only has two big cards, you are completely putting the onus on him to improve and make a pair. This has many good effects, including that it'll be harder for him to push you out of a pot if you do have the best hand, and he might fold early in the hand because he thinks he's in worse shape than he really is (and make a FTOP mistake).

2. If villain does have a better pocket pair (basically 77-99), you will often be able to win the hand on particularly ugly flops (basically, anything with two cards J or higher). If you just call the three-bet, you are basically conceding to losing any such flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then there is the real world where no one ever folds after putting in more than 3 bets in a HU pot.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Results....

Still waiting for JBB, but he'll find it's a call down, razor thin.

The BB showed AKs and my 66 was good.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats your image? TAGs dont bet that river with A high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree... they often do in Vegas and AC games, and its so sad to see it happen because they should know better.

PS: I like the hand, but its close.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 PM

Sorry if this sounds stupid but why is it preferable to call down from the flop onwards rather than raise that flop which looks pretty good for 66 heads up?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this sounds stupid but why is it preferable to call down from the flop onwards rather than raise that flop which looks pretty good for 66 heads up?

[/ QUOTE ]

go look at the range people are talking about. we are behind in a big way.