Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 10:38 PM

Default gonna do a home NL tourney for poker noobs- advice?

Some of my freinds form my neighborhood have expressed intrest in learning how to play holdem- NL tourneys, 'like they play on TV', of course. They know that i play, and have been bugging me to teach them/ host a game. so i think i might do it this saturday.

I have chips, and will be giving away some of the crap i've hustled from online sites (my extra copies of ToP and GISH, maybe some KEMs, etc) to the winners. But, i've realized that i really have no idea how to run a good tournament.

Here's what i'd like to do:

-have a couple $5 tourneys over the course of 4-6 hours
-I'd like to include a re-buy with the buy in, to encourage aggressive, fast play
-most importantly, keep the game fun and freindly and provide an educational experience

So:

I have 200 red chips, 200 white, 100 black, 100 green. I'm thinking white=5 red=10 green=25, black=100, players start with 500 in chips and a rebuy token, start at 5/10 blinds to double every 20 minutes... how long should this take? suggestions?

Is there a good primer for NL that i can give out, like a one-page NL for dummies? link me?

along the same lines, is there a good set of home game rules available? link me!

Any helpful anecdotes, cautionary tales, etc would be welcome, as well as anything i've missed. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: gonna do a home NL tourney for poker noobs- advice?

This site is very helpful in all aspects of setting up a tourney.

http://www.homepokertourney.com/

and here is the quickstart link from the same site

http://www.homepokertourney.com/quickstart.htm
Old 10-07-2005, 12:02 AM

what superkats said...also, establish and agree upon the rules before hand. You can get a rulebook at HPT.com that SK linked. Most of all have fun. If the stakes aren't anything too high don't let the bad beats or "stupid plays" bother you.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM

just don't give everyone 15,000 chips, start out at 1/2, blinds increase every 30 minutes by 1 (not double). I played in one of these a friend wanted to do and thought i was going to gouge my eyeballs. His reasoning was "I just want everyone to play for a long time and have a good time".
Old 10-07-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just don't give everyone 15,000 chips, start out at 1/2, blinds increase every 30 minutes by 1 (not double). I played in one of these a friend wanted to do and thought i was going to gouge my eyeballs. His reasoning was "I just want everyone to play for a long time and have a good time".

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always said I like a slow blind schedule...but damn that's taking it to the extreme!

I do T150 tourneys and we start a 1/2.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 10-07-2005, 06:41 PM

My advice. Try this first Right Here

[ QUOTE ]
Some of my freinds form my neighborhood have expressed intrest in learning how to play holdem- NL tourneys, 'like they play on TV', of course. They know that i play, and have been bugging me to teach them/ host a game. so i think i might do it this saturday.

I have chips, and will be giving away some of the crap i've hustled from online sites (my extra copies of ToP and GISH, maybe some KEMs, etc) to the winners. But, i've realized that i really have no idea how to run a good tournament.

Here's what i'd like to do:

-have a couple $5 tourneys over the course of 4-6 hours
-I'd like to include a re-buy with the buy in, to encourage aggressive, fast play
-most importantly, keep the game fun and freindly and provide an educational experience

So:

I have 200 red chips, 200 white, 100 black, 100 green. I'm thinking white=5 red=10 green=25, black=100, players start with 500 in chips and a rebuy token, start at 5/10 blinds to double every 20 minutes... how long should this take? suggestions?

Is there a good primer for NL that i can give out, like a one-page NL for dummies? link me?

along the same lines, is there a good set of home game rules available? link me!

Any helpful anecdotes, cautionary tales, etc would be welcome, as well as anything i've missed. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-09-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always said I like a slow blind schedule...but damn that's taking it to the extreme!

I do T150 tourneys and we start a 1/2.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I get annoyed playing with my buddies because they insist on playing 30 - 50 chips with blinds starting at 1/2. That's not poker: It's bingo.