Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Rake Back
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: The new forum: A positive for the online poker playing community.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course he likes rakeback, he's a large affiliate himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly believe in everthing I've said in my original post. I've repeatedly heard the arguement from several others that rakeback will raise the total-rake for poker rooms online and that it is a negative thing. I highly disagree with this and wanted my thoughts to be known.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hundreds of thousands of eight-tablers swapping money back and forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you basing this on?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:24 PM

I've repeatedly heard the arguement from several others that rakeback will raise the total-rake for poker rooms online and that it is a negative thing. I highly disagree with this and wanted my thoughts to be known.

i wish nothing but the best to the operators of this forum. i also respect your opinion joe. however, i don't think anyone can rationally argue that rakeback does not increase rake rates. if there is an argument that disputes this, i would love to hear it.

the bottom line is rakeback is here to stay, and the hope is that rake for online play will always be lower than the rake for live play.

even if rakeback has caused rakeback tolerant sites to have higher rake than rakeback intolerant sites (stars, paradise), it is still MUCH cheaper than B&M. also, if players use applied knowledge to improve their game, the rake being slightly higher at one site versus another is irrelevant as long as it stays under B&M rates.

for the record, i am an affiliate that does not do rakeback. it is not because i think it is evil, it is just because i think it is not worth my time for the margins that the bigger affiliates are working on. i'm not big enough to compete, but i accept the fact that my marketing has to be toward non-pros.

i did not really want to get involved here joe, but to say that rakeback does not exasperate higher rakes is just plain silly. but, it is not high enough for the typical pro to be worried about IMO.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM

but to say that rakeback does not exasperate higher rakes is just plain silly

I can't say that rakeback doesn't have a part of raising rates; yes, that would be silly. However, it's not as directly related as I've heard it argued. There are much more factors involved. In the expanding market, costs rise, in turn, the site has to charge more for addition support, accounting, customer service, etc. Sending them an email costs them money.

In addition, the shear fact that the most players who are playing online don't even know what rake is, has a lot to with it. The sites can raise rates because most don't even notice and so few complain compared to the larger scale of players.

I feel, as I stated above, affiliate program's positives outweight any negatives for the online poker community, including rakeback programs.

it is still MUCH cheaper than B&M. also, if players use applied knowledge to improve their game, the rake being slightly higher at one site versus another is irrelevant as long as it stays under B&M rates.

This is 100% true and likely forever will be as the opportunity cost of B&M poker is so much higer than online poker.

Thanks for your reply Granny as I just puked on my monitor when my Red Sox gave up a 5-spot in the first, sorry to get some on your avatar's chin... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 AM

Ok Larry Joe. I will believe you.