Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: NHL Trade - Heatley for Hossa

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No - this is a common fallacy held by NHL fans. While at first, you'd think a mediocre supporting cast does make it difficult to put up good numbers, the fact that the Thrashers played in a lot of uncompetitive games and the fact that *someone* has to score goals, as well as the fact that since they have no one else, they're going to be throwing Heatley out there 20 minutes a game. Ottawa, who has four good lines, is not going to play Hossa as much as Atlanta does Heatley.

Marian Hossa had Alfredsson and Havlat on his team, but neither of them were out on the ice when Hossa was. And his left wings and centers were not very good on Ottawa - Arvedson or MacEachern for LW, Bonk or White for center. Imagine if Hossa had a very good center.

[/ QUOTE ]

and who the hell will that be on the thrashers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby Holik. LOL

Ottawa got way the better of this deal, it's not even close. In terms of stats, they're basically the same player. But Hossa is soft. Ottawa needs someone strong & tough up front, and they finally got him.

Atlanta is going to have one good, entertaining line, that will disappear in the playoffs.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:47 AM

This article seems to disagree

This trade helped both teams in different ways, while I would give the edge to Ottawa because Heatley has a little more potencial because he is 2 years younger, but I would not say that Ottawa is going to be that much better.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heatley's better, cheaper, younger and a Canadian now playing in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canadian playing in Canada... meh
Old 08-24-2005, 12:36 PM

I think this is good for Ottawa, Heatly will provide a physical presence, they need more of that. He's also a point-per-game guy at 24 years old, that's not shabby either. Hossa's a good player too.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:59 PM

At first, I thought Ottawa ran away with this one...but thinking about it a little more everyone wins.

I'm not sure who saw the press conference an hour ago, but Heatley looks pumped to be in Ottawa...or anywhere in Canada for that matter. He's finally in a city that cares about hockey.

Hossa is a very very skilled offensive threat, but Heatley is the total package. Skilled, young, tough and plays well under pressure (see international experience). This is a player who could get Ottawa deep in the playoffs, let alone past Toronto.

Atlanta, on the other hand, gets a super skilled forward to replace another star who just didn't want to be there anymore (can you blame him). As soon as Ottawa signed him for 18/3, you knew he was gone. I didn't expect this, but in hindsight I can't believe no one saw it coming (except for "guy with a blog").

I would have loved to see Heater in hometown Flames silks, but I think it would have involved Phaneuf or Iginla going the other way...neither of which I would touch with a 10-foot pole.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was time for Hossa to leave Ottawa

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Or are you just talking out of your ass?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:46 PM

Hossa's original contract demand was too high.

Alfredsson is signed long-term.

Havlat is young.

You cannot carry 3 right wings of that level when your centers and left wings are as weak as the Senators' are, and now with the salary cap.

As for who will be the center, Marc Savard had one of the highest points per game last season before he got hurt. He is better than Radek Bonk or Todd White. Yes, he sucked in Calgary, but he's really put it together in Atlanta.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was time for Hossa to leave Ottawa

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

After that contract, it was absolutely time. They got Heatley in return, which is nice...but what this really does for Ottawa is give them some cap flexibility. That is huge with Chara's and Redden's contracts coming up soon.