Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Why do Atheists so full of hate ?

It's not that they hate it so much as they are frustrated by the negative impact of religion. For example watching leaders make bone headed decisions on abstinence only sex education for teens, regulating stem cell research, refusing to believe that someone is dead based on brain wave criteria, descriminating against homosexuals, crusades against art that they find offensive, a drug policy that imprisons drug addicts rather than treats them, etc. all because of their religious convictions. It's also the absolute arogance of believers that cannot fathom how anyone could believe differently than them and are quick to condemn.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not that they hate it so much as they are frustrated by the negative impact of religion. For example watching leaders make bone headed decisions on abstinence only sex education for teens, regulating stem cell research, refusing to believe that someone is dead based on brain wave criteria, descriminating against homosexuals, crusades against art that they find offensive, a drug policy that imprisons drug addicts rather than treats them, etc. all because of their religious convictions. It's also the absolute arogance of believers that cannot fathom how anyone could believe differently than them and are quick to condemn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-07-2005, 03:03 PM

I think you're confusing Agnostics with Atheists.

Agnostics "aren't sure" whether or not God exists, so they wouldn't care enough (or are partly scared) to make a big deal out of the issue. But Aetheists devoutly believe that there is no God, just like Christians devoutly believe that God created it all. Most people stand up for what they believe in.

Make sense?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Aetheists devoutly believe that there is no God,

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no.

Atheists have no belief in god. That is not the same as believing that there is no god. Think along the lines of amoral vs. immoral.

Will
Old 07-07-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no.

Atheists have no belief in god. That is not the same as believing that there is no god. Think along the lines of amoral vs. immoral.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. An atheist disbelieves or denies the existence of God.

The type of person you describe does not fit into any of the above categories. Any proposition that purports to be either analytic or synthetic with regard to a metaphysical entity is not an actual proposition, but non-sense. People who acknowledge this are... well, I guess, logical people.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

The type of person you describe does not fit into any of the above categories. Any proposition that purports to be either analytic or synthetic with regard to a metaphysical entity is not an actual proposition, but non-sense. People who acknowledge this are... well, I guess, logical people.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. Here's how.

Will
Old 07-07-2005, 05:35 PM

For example, see Russell on Religion.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:14 PM

Life is what it is -- get over it. You will die. Believe what you like, and good luck. God, at the very least, serves us in our belief that rights are not given to us by men -- while simultaneously allowing us to deny that we are personally the source of our (God given) rights. This allows us to be independent without being arrogant.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. Here's how.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

You're misnaming large numbers of people because of an appeal to a philosophical article. It just doesn't fly. I think the dictionary definition of atheism holds precedent here, as well as the multitude of people who call themselves atheists because they disbelieve in God.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This post has nothing to do with the existence of God so don't even go there. I want to know what motivates atheists not just to disagree with religion, but to actually hate it.

Why do Atheists HATE religion ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most athiests you will encounter simply get frusterated talking with you because they don't understand how you can be so illogical about-- insert topic here.

Being a --to quote Douglas Adams-- "radical athiest" myself, I do not in any way hate religion. I think religion as an idea, is in fact brilliant. It's a great way to organize and control the masses in times where either law has broken down or is not enforced--or the punishment is just not enough to stop the crime.

Religion also provides people with a sense of purpose and community, something many people need the comfort of and would not be able to find without already being a member of their religion.

All that being said, I think organized religion is way out of hand, and I also believe it has no place in politics. I do not understand how, with all of our current knowledge, religion is still so previlant in 1st world countries. I am also angered at many things which are religious guideliness, but not by any means absolute rights or wrongs, and have been integrated into morals and even laws--when they are not have absolutely no place in either one.

If in your position, I would also tend to think athiests hate religion after having a chat with me, because I am just getting so furious and frusterated with the stupidity of the world even as I type this. But no, we don't ahte religion. We just wish it would stay in its bounds and serve its useful purposes and not also [censored] up the world. Maybe that's just me though.