Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Why I love soccer.

First of all Im not discussing if football is more entertaining to play( I prefer hoops for instance).I wont even try to convince you that soccer is more entertaining to watch than football, in fact I prefer fantasy football and football videogames over their soccer equivalent.
So why is soccer so amazing? Because of its structure...national club competition, continental club competition, continental country competition( Im also counting WC qualifiers here) and international country competiton.
Also club competion has relegation which means the worst teams of division 1 get replaced by the best teams of division 2 and so on.
I lived in England a couple of years when I was 4( Im now 17) and Im chilean born...thereby I have THREE( not one) clubs to follow...Liverpool, Chile , Universidad de Chile( its a pro team, in the 1930s the biggest universities played top amateur football thereby when the sport came pro..)
In pro football I only have one team to follow, the Tennesse Titans( my uncle explained footbll rules to me and the next day I saw Tennesse doing some crazy shiit beating the bills on the last play). Well u have college...so lets make it 2 and 2.( since most ppl dont live on other two countries on their childhood).
The thing is watching your COUNTRY playing soccer against Uruguay or Peru, Bolivia whatever is just some amazing stuff. You havent really watched sports until uve seen ure country.( i didnt go that deep on continental club competition becuase its kinda like college)
Anyway thats the problem with american sport there is only one season that matters..imagine if this year New England, Philly and Pittsburgh had to play against the best football team on the whole friggin world while at the same time they are playing in the local league.
PS: the major league soccer best teams will play against south americas best teams in the second most important south american club competion...ok so ure not going to enjoy soccer but ur kids will.I expect soccer to continue its grow in america, not because soccer its that fun but because soccer enviroment so fun..imagine if u could compete equally against France(trust me one single WC elimination would hurt more than 100 lance amstrong wins).
Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Why I love soccer.

i know what you mean. to me the greatest sporting events in the world are

1. yanks vs sox, best of 7
2. WC
3. superbowl

the world cup is the single greatest one though. soccers the best. all the americans who say it sucks havent seen the good games, and havent been to a packed stadium. a lot of them have just watched random games without knowing the significance or really getitng the feeling.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:43 PM

I just got back from a 2500 mile trip to watch the US vs Mexico game in columbus the other day and I have to say I thoroughly agree.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:41 PM

The objective of this post is not to keep arguing.
I just want you to know that I watched game 2, game 4 , game 5, game 6 and game 7 last year.
I take a red sox vs yanks series over any Champions League semi-final in which Im not emotionally involved( Ie: Liverpool)...hmm let me think..yes I cant really think of a CL semi-final I can pick over a red sox vs nyy series( Im not emotionally involved..i want red sox to win but I wont be depressed next day after a devastating loss)
Old 09-05-2005, 06:46 PM

"Soccer is not a sport because you can't use your arms. Anything where you can't use your arms can't be a sport. Tap dancing is not a sport. I rest my case."

-George Carlin
Old 09-05-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all the americans who say it sucks havent seen the good games, and havent been to a packed stadium. a lot of them have just watched random games without knowing the significance or really getitng the feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

then be sure to watch the Manchester City/Tottenham match at 8 est on Fox Soccer Channel, you will not see a better FA Cup match. I'm pimping this match all over the place, it is worth it in each and everyway. Its tonight at 8 est
Old 09-05-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The objective of this post is not to keep arguing.
I just want you to know that I watched game 2, game 4 , game 5, game 6 and game 7 last year.
I take a red sox vs yanks series over any Champions League semi-final in which Im not emotionally involved( Ie: Liverpool)...hmm let me think..yes I cant really think of a CL semi-final I can pick over a red sox vs nyy series( Im not emotionally involved..i want red sox to win but I wont be depressed next day after a devastating loss)

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasnt arguing. the thing about these things is that its all about the emotional involvement, and americans just dont feel it about soccer. mostly because of the history of soccer (or lack therof). the sox yanks rivalry has tons of history in the US, and the MLS has none. that explains it, and vice versa.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 PM

I am an american who has grown to love Football. My best friends growing up were good at it(the younger brother played for indiana) and so I got used to watching it. I liked it, but I hadn't fallen in love with it yet. WC 98 made me fall in love though. Watching Micheal Owen make that run against Argentina was one of the most breath taking things I had ever seen. I then started following the Premier League and became a fan of Man U. It was more their style of play that got me into them, not just because they were winning, but the style of play that they had. I just rewatched the 99 FA Cup semi final replay with the famous Ryan Giggs goal, and all of the emotion that I had came back to me.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:24 PM

Who the [censored] is manunited when the reds go marching on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who the [censored] is manunited when the reds go marching on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]