Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-18-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: altercation w/ dealer and floor at Bellagio

[ QUOTE ]
i got into a little situation with the floor at borgata last weekend. he was way out of line and openly insulted me in front of everyone at the table, before i had even said anything insulting. he then did the same bit where he asked me "do you want to keep playing or not?" i should have said, nah i'm done, i think i'll head over to your mother's house and see what she's up to.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am so mad I missed this. And that line at the end would have been an absolute dunk dunk dunk.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:57 PM

Well you messed up by using the F word towards the dealer, but I dont take any mouth off the dealer, at all. I dont talk to anyone at the tables unless it is absolutey neccary so if the dealer smarts of to me he probably said something frist. Its happened once to me and both I a dealer later aplogized to each other.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can expect to make 2 BB/hr (which should be difficult at 4/8 with tip/rake), one hand with $30 in it really may have cost you two hours of play. Crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opportunity cost. By not keep your emotions in check, you cost yourself in several ways:
1. you had to leave the table (which was a good table) to go pursue the issue;
2. you were likely still a little hot when you got back, and playing worse as a result; and
3. you killed the mood of the table, lowering the quality of the game.

Besides, KJ isn't THAT great a hand, and I probably would have folded it in this spot anyway.

Mistakes do happen at the table, and it does appear that you lost your temper slightly here. Most floors would be decent enough to hear you out and offer their sympathy at the results of the hand in question, even more so privately and away from the table. However, it also appears that you have run into a particularly difficult set of staff members. Personally, I think you should have let the issue slide. It earns you nothing but wasted time and an ego boost to prove that you were right.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:16 PM

You made too big of a fuss over nothing.

There is really nothing they can do about the hand at that point.

Why do you want ot play KJo anyway?

The clown who 3-bet without cards needs to be atleast tossed out of the room.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Besides, KJ isn't THAT great a hand, and I probably would have folded it in this spot anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
the day I fold KJ on the buton to a straddle and a loose player cold calling on the CO...

not that it matters, but KJ was actually way ahead preflop and postflop. Flop came J high with the CO having QJo. Like I said before, decent pot, in excess of 10+ bets, which would have been nice, but I'm not worried about that nor was I then. Dealers make mistakes, and the real fault of the hand was the idiot 3 betting without any cards, trying to be funny... my only problem was with the way I was treated after declaring I would have played it to a live straddle and a cold call and what snowballed from there.

[ QUOTE ]

Mistakes do happen at the table, and it does appear that you lost your temper slightly here. Most floors would be decent enough to hear you out and offer their sympathy at the results of the hand in question, even more so privately and away from the table. However, it also appears that you have run into a particularly difficult set of staff members. Personally, I think you should have let the issue slide. It earns you nothing but wasted time and an ego boost to prove that you were right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be right. At first when I approached him I genuinely wanted to square it simply so he understood where I was coming from, and that I wasn't purposely being a dick. Don't get me wrong, I recognized it was inappropriate for him to call me a jerk and otherwise handle it the way he did, but that was not my only concern. In hindsight I don't know why I should even have cared about either. Admittedly, having it on my mind did distract me a little bit, so that was probably my main motivation. I even started the conversation with "I want you to know I wasn't trying to be an a--hole". As I explained the situation to him and got no slack what so ever, I think it became more about proving I was right
Old 08-18-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would've picked up my chips right there on the spot and went to the Wynn.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-18-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I even started the conversation with "I want you to know I wasn't trying to be an a--hole". As I explained the situation to him and got no slack what so ever...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's up to me to point out to you that not everyone has the same tolerance for profanity that you do.

So far, every sentence you've said aloud in this situation starts with you swearing. In the initial dispute, you quickly drop a WTF on the dealer. Your opening line in the private conversation started with the word a-hole.

If you want to get respect, give respect. Don't swear at everyone in sight, then ask, "Why isn't anyone nice to me?"

Note that it doesn't matter how polite you think you were being. The tone of your voice is subtle; the profanity is loud and clear.

I don't suppose that out of you, the dealer, the floorman, and the floorman's boss, that you were the youngest by far? That's not a knock on young people. But I think if that's the case, it played a big part in their attitudes.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would've picked up my chips right there on the spot and went to the Wynn.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I actually thought about FYPing myself on that one to this too, but just left it. Mirage is a closer walk.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess it's up to me to point out to you that not everyone has the same tolerance for profanity that you do.

So far, every sentence you've said aloud in this situation starts with you swearing. In the initial dispute, you quickly drop a WTF on the dealer. Your opening line in the private conversation started with the word a-hole.

If you want to get respect, give respect. Don't swear at everyone in sight, then ask, "Why isn't anyone nice to me?"

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
a few friends of mine come and jump in the game. It's gotten quite good since they've joined, since they've been straddling, blind 3-betting preflop, etc. Needless to say the action's really been picking up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to add that I suspect that you and your friends at 4am may very well have been a bit loud and inappropriate before this incident took place.
Any swear-words tossed back and forth BEFORE the hand in question?
Any drunken-loud sillyness to irk the dealer BEFORE it happened?

Given the way he jumped on your case so quickly about this I would think it's possible that he called the floor over because he was sick of your behavior IN GENERAL (not just on the single WTF comment on the hand).

Obviously I wasn't there and I don't know.
but I'm just guessing based on typical 4am group of friends live-straddling, etc.
Of course poker is supposed to be fun so this in itself shouldn't be a problem. I've just been with enough 4am groups of friends live-straddling who have been a bit over-the-top to know what is possible (plus the fact that the dealer and floor obviously didn't like you).

That said - after my week or two at the Bellagio I can definitely say that I'm not surprised you would be treated in such a way.
And the player who 3-bet without cards should have been scolded pretty badly for fouling up the hand.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:34 AM

You were playing 4/8 at the Bellagio at 4 AM and being a pain in the ass. Had I been the floor in this case I would have simply told you that if you didn't like it, you could take your 200 bucks and your Party Poker visor and go back to your hotel and jerk off to the stripper you couldn't afford a hummer from.

NT