Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Trying to improve my river play...bottom 2 call or fold?

5/10, villain has 1700, I have everyone smothered and covered and have been dictating the action. I have been opening with a lot of hands, getting called, potting flops and people drop. A few times I actually rivered the basic nuts and have made a few people pay to see. Villain is getting annoyed and is one of the more active callers to my raises.

Anyway, I open for 40 utg with 56s, 2 callers

Flop K65r

I bet pot, villain calls,

Turn 2 (flush draw)

I check (planning for a fat check-raise), he checks. I suppose this street is debatable...

River J

I lead for 200, villain makes it 600.

Is this a standard call given my over aggressive image? Is this a standard fold since I've been involved in a lot of pots recently? My past river bets have either been pot sized or all in, teh all-ins for the most part were made hands and weren't called, the pot bets were non-nut flushes/straights that have been called somewhat. In hindsight, I think it's this river bet that gets me into trouble. I can't see AK/KQ making this bet, which only leaves KJ or air, comments?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Trying to improve my river play...bottom 2 call or fold?

I think the turn is great. When you are being very aggressive you have to defend your checks (and I don't mean checks as in chips, like brunson). You can't be checking the turn giving up all the time, and this is a great way to make people afraid of you.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:10 PM

wow, this is a legit tough tough river spot.

what does he think you have? probably nothing a fair amount, so he COULD very well have air. he certainly doesnt think you have KK or 56... So he could see this as a blocker.

Certainly if he has a big king he bets the turn? Or maybe not, but then he would just call the river.

So yeah, looks like KJ or bluff, I agree, and Im a fish who calls way too much and as a result my W$Sd is bad, but I pay off 400 to win almost 1600.

BY THE WAY, and this is not results thinking, but given turn went check check, I'd consider check / calling this river. It looks alot more like a draw (which has missed) and betting and getting raised (unless you made the call and it was right! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) is sickening.

Plus, if you check, he could very well bet any king for value. (If he didnt bet it on the turn) Too bad turn went check/check..

Edit: By draw missed, I guess only realistic is 78. (Unless he's gambling w/ a gut or something) I misread the turn as "two tone" to mean it made two two flushes, but the flop was rainbow.

The point is this makes a draw less likely... But... If he did call pf with KQ or KT etc and you check T + R he WILL throw a value bet out eh?

Although maybe original bet is good as stands. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see AK/KQ making this bet, which only leaves KJ or air, comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or 34.

Pot the river.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:17 PM

NLD.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Certainly if he has a big king he bets the turn? Or maybe not, but then he would just call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was against what appeared to be a maniac and didn't happen to reraise preflop with a king, I would probably check the turn to keep the pot small and induce him to bluff the river. Obviously it depends, but for the most part.

[ QUOTE ]
BY THE WAY, and this is not results thinking, but given turn went check check, I'd consider check / calling this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this, but then I thought that I have such a great image working for me right now, namely I will get paid off with all sorts of hands (like I think TT would call my river bet), that I decided to bet.

I think that most people go into call down, check behind mode when people play against a maniac, so I doubt he bets this river at all unless he has a lock.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:19 PM

And fold to a raise, I take it?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And fold to a raise, I take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:23 PM

I don't think he calls pre with 43. I expect him to call with dominated hands over hands like 43.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

NLD.

[/ QUOTE ]

nut low draw?