Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-29-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Catholic v. Christian

[ QUOTE ]
When I read mindless, evil, hateful crap like this, I start thinking that human society will only move out of our infancy when all religion is purged forever from this planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been some notable attempts to implement the suggested purge.

- Pol Pot : banned religion (Kampuchean constitution chapter fifteen article twenty)

- USSR : the state imposed severe restrictions on religious activity, banned many churches, and persecuted religious leaders.

The results speak for themselves.

Wether you are an atheist or a theist you may find the argument against religion in society somewhat more complex than it at first appears.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It all starts with being born again. Catholics and many Christian denominations differ from true Christians in how this is accomplished. Catholics believe priest-baptized infants are born again. This is false. Any religion that baptizes infants and declares them born again is false.

You need to be born of God to be a child of God and a Christian. There are many who try to follow certain philosophies of Christ. There are few who are His kinsmen.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read mindless, evil, hateful crap like this, I start thinking that human society will only move out of our infancy when all religion is purged forever from this planet.

Then I remind myself that as a libertarian I believe that even idiots like this have the right to believe their silly little fairy tales.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought your question was why some Christians think of Catholics as non-Christians? You may get some fine-point doctrinal answers that avoid the central issue, which is "Who is born again", but you won't get a better or more truthful answer than the one I gave you. Being born again is the starting point of a true Christian life. How that is "mindless, evil, hateful crap" I have no idea.

I agree with you about the futility of religion. It substitutes itself for relationship with God and does nothing but hold men back.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The very early christians did not believe and practice like you, whose doctrine can only be traced to the 1500s.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I believe and practice from 2 paragraphs on a message board?

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you google for "Didache", also known as the Teaching of the Twelve Apostles....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, but I will pass. I have gone past the 'what I believe' drudgery (where so many just stop and stay and fiddle around) and gone on to enjoy the wonders of the 'Whom I believe' life. In things spiritual, he who has the experience is never at the mercy of he who has an argument.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 PM

Many of the comments here are rather silly. I am a fallen Catholic too. Catholics are Christians. "Christ" is found in the word "Christ"ian. If you believe in Christ, you are a Christian. Simply stated, because it's simple. Want to start I firestorm? I sho' as heck do, so let me add this to the non-ceremonial christians, the founders of the Catholic Church walked with Jesus (if you believe the mumbo jumbo), your founders did not. Seems to me that makes the Catholic faith the only true Christian CHurch. Alright, we murdered a good bit during the inquisition. Oops.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:10 PM

Yes from your two paragraphs I could easily deduce that you are a fundamentalist christian. And regarding the last comment in your reply, ignorance for you is obviously bliss and avoids any pesky questioning not of faith in Christ, but in the particular brand of christianity you believe in. It sure is nice isn't to feel so smug about johnny-come-lately denominational views when the majority of Christians living now or that have ever lived in the past 2000 years have been members of the Catholic Church.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes from your two paragraphs I could easily deduce that you are a fundamentalist christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sir, then you deduced wrongly.

[ QUOTE ]

And regarding the last comment in your reply, ignorance for you is obviously bliss and avoids any pesky questioning not of faith in Christ, but in the particular brand of christianity you believe in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Religionists believe in differing doctrines, particular brands of christianity. My faith is in a Person. And He is who is worthy of being followed, not the doctrines of men.

I was a baptized in a Catholic church, but I wasn't born again until I was an adult. That is my experience. At one point the Holy Spirit was outside of me. And when I was born again He is in me. That is my experience. And that experience lines up with scripture. Any argument pointing to a Didache or this that or the other is futile to the man who has experienced what God says man will experience when you become his child.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 PM

And a logical extension of your feelings and beliefs is that we catholics who have experienced only infant baptism cannot have that same feeling and belief of having the indwelling of the Holy Spirit or of being a child of God without that adult baptism you had. You are very wrong on this.

And your refusal to examine doctrinal claims because of your present feelings and beliefs is just following the admonitions of less well educated preachers in your own denomination because they know that the beliefs of that denomination not only cannot stand the light of the experience and beliefs of the Body of Christ through time, but also not even the Bible properly interpreted by an authentic interpreter.

And how very lucky you were to stumble onto the correct protestant denomination out of so many denominations with differing beliefs. Congratulations.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes... and 100s is 100-200 years after Christ, and 200s is 200-300 years after Christ. Year 299 = 3rd Century = 299 years after Christ = 200-300 years after Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe the scholarly opinion is that Jesus was born around 5 BC and died around 33 AD, so the gap between the start of the 2nd century and Jesus's death would be around 60-70 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, even though it's not relevant to any point I'm making.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:23 PM

"You need to be born of God to be a child of God and a Christian."

What did you do with the placenta?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:12 AM

Not only those born in a place where christianity is preached can hear from God. Only those who seek truly find, not those who sit in church services.
It's a pity an issue such as your place of birth would make you lose faith in God, I think it's a proverb that says something like, if you fall apart during crisis there was not much of you to begin with.