Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 02:13 AM

Default I check TP & I chase and bet four cards to straight board

Sorry for the doubled hand action, but I just played these 2 hands back to back. Table is tight. I play limit (for fun I guess), so no reads, never seen any of these guys. Hand 1 starts my second orbit on table.

Hand 1
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

UTG ($20.90)
UTG+1 ($22.75)
MP1 ($5.30)
MP2 ($10.60)
CO ($31.55)
Button ($33.70)
SB ($13.65)
Hero ($28.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks.
<font color="blue"> Should I bet out with this hand? In hindsight, I'm thinking yes. But at the moment I was thinking only better Kings &amp; sets are going to call any bet. Table is tight. This is first multiway hand I think. If I should bet, how much? I went check/call waiting for turn or releasing to heavy flop action.</font>

Turn: ($1.10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.75</font>, UTG calls $0.75, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.75.

River: ($3.35) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.25</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $4.60

Hand 2
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

BB ($19.90)
UTG ($22.50)
UTG+1 ($4.30)
MP1 ($10.60)
MP2 ($31.55)
CO ($33.70)
Button ($13.55)
Hero ($30.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.5</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.50, BB folds.
<font color="blue"> I don't have odds, but I'm thinking implied odds are good right? </font>

Turn: ($2) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, UTG+1 calls $1.50.
<font color="blue"> I bet, cuz I didn't want to give a free card. I would have called an AI.</font>

River: ($5) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, UTG+1 folds.
<font color="blue"> Not a fan of this card, but I figured value bet, cuz any hand that beats me bets anyways. </font>

Final Pot: $6.50
Old 12-26-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: I check TP & I chase and bet four cards to straight board

Hand 1- looks about right, as long as you plan to fold to any real aggression.

Hand 2- Flop call is questionable, but you might be able to play the scare there with will help a lot. I dont like to chase against small stacks, the odds arent there. On the turn, I check call there, as I do with the river.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: I check TP & I chase and bet four cards to straight board

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1- looks about right, as long as you plan to fold to any real aggression.

Hand 2- Flop call is questionable, but you might be able to play the scare there with will help a lot. I dont like to chase against small stacks, the odds arent there. On the turn, I check call there, as I do with the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me personally, I think a case can be made for an combination of actions with either of these hands in both of these situations. I know some very aggressive players who would be betting a raising much more; I know some that play it more passively. And, then there is me who would have checked and folded both of these on the flop and the turn (I'm a pussy though).

The point that EMcWilliams makes in the second hand about chasing vs. small stacks makes alot of sense to me, though.

You do not have implied odds against someone who has just $4.3. First of all, you are getting between 3:1 and 2:1 on your odds and are calling this one card in HOPES that you are really getting 8:1 on your money (his whole stack).

That is rather dubious I think. If you do make your hand, I think it is iffy that you get paid off by anything other than somebody with a redraw (they have top pair with a straight draw, bottom set, two pair, flush draw, etc., etc.) which means your odds aren't as good as they seem, either pot or implied. Unless, of course, you know this guy is horrible and will pay you off with top pair or middle pair, or something crazy (but, you said you didn't know, so err on the side of caution.

These are just some thoughts.