Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-17-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Hand against NemesisXX

Nemesis is 30/17/2.5. We have played a lot together. She seems to respect my raises preflop. She is usually way too aggro on the flop and calls down too liberally. I dont think she is very good but others do.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 12-17-2005, 11:32 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Hand against NemesisXX

i don't know what a typical player's bb defense 3-betting standards are but my gut says raise the turn considering he calls down too liberally. he probably value bets lightly and does more bet-calling than check-calling. against someone capable of folding something, i'd call down. also preflop id cap since you are getting way the best of it but i guess that's a matter of preference.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:40 PM

cap preflop unless u actually think there is value in the deception against "her
raise turn happily, "she" might call down w/ A8.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:44 PM

please please please raise the turn. Nem is awful and will pay off ALL the time here. Her 3b range is also very loarge and she will never slowdown.

-Mike
Old 12-17-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please please please raise the turn. Nem is awful and will pay off ALL the time here. Her 3b range is also very loarge and she will never slowdown.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - I agree. I've played a fair bit with her and I think you definitely need to raise this turn against her; you're not losing her to the raise and there is a better-than-normal chance (compared to some of the LAG/TAGs in this game) that if she three-bets you she's doing so with a worse hand.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
please please please raise the turn. Nem is awful and will pay off ALL the time here. Her 3b range is also very large and she will never slowdown.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-18-2005, 11:19 AM

As others have said, I think raising the turn is crucial. Can you explain your reasonings for not? Did you expect to get another bet in on the river if Nemesis was bluffing? This is a pretty scary board for nemesis to fire a 3rd barrel into you.

As for preflop, if she is really giving you a lot of respect, I could see not capping. Allow her to bluff in a hopeless situation, rather than shut her out of the flop with your preflop cap.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Results and thoughts

I think my problem was that I made her 3betting range too narrow. A lot of what I thought her possible 3betting hands were were ahead of me: AK (splitting), JJ, AA, KK, TT, KJ, KT, etc. I would be ahead of QQ, KQ, AT, AJ and some lower pocket pairs. I also thought most lower pockets would fold to the turn raise. She's also 3betting me with all better hands except maybe AA so I need to be ahead 66% of the time that she at least calls. Actually more because I think she is folding sometimes.

After reading the opinions of others in this thread, I realize her 3betting range is wider than I had thought. There is also a chance she 3bets the turn with a worse hand than mine so that 66% + figure should be lower.

RESULTS: Nemesis calls river with 99 and MHIG.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:12 PM

You gotta cap AK preflop heads-up - especially since your open-raise was from the CO. Most semi-thinking villains will think you're trying to steal.

The rest of the postflop plays very differently from there.

The way you played it, you gotta raise the turn. By calling, you're letting villain draw out on you cheaply - on this draw-heavy board!

Adam
Old 12-18-2005, 02:17 PM

RESULTS: Nemesis calls river with 99 and MHIG.

shes really good!