Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 AM

Default 1/2 - Open ended straight flush draw

$1/$2 Normal table with no real maniacs or complete idiot donks in the hand, I pick up an open-ended straight flush draw after 2 limpers and the SB completes.

I hold 7c5c and the board is 6c8cQd.

What is a solid play here against at least one player who will likely bet and then pay me off if I hit?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: 1/2 - Open ended straight flush draw

How aggressive are the players behind you? If you have aggressive players behind you, you probably want one of them to bet, get a caller or two, and then raise for value. If they are not so aggressive, bet and let them call to help build you a pot.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 AM

I was thinking about check raising the flop when the button bet but I thought by just calling, I could get more in the pot hoping at least one of the other limpers would call as well.

Most of the players at the table were relatively passive. Many check/called out of position with who knows what and the button felt obligated to bet if it checked to him, literally no matter what.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 PM

Most of the time, just bet this out. On a typical table, you'll have at least a couple passive players who will see a turn with any piece of the board. It also helps disguise the strength of your hand when you do hit.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:15 PM

That makes a lot more sense than just check/calling. Does a raise behind by the button if the other players have folded hurt me much? Obviously that's less likely to happen given how many players pay to see the turn no matter what the action is but I'm just curious.