Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-10-2005, 04:53 PM

Default XP MC, 2 Video Cards, Need Help

Before I get flamed, I did a search and didn't find any help. I will admit my searching abilities are limited.

I have an XP Media Center box with an ATI RADEON X700 Pro (PCI Express) card driving 2 20" flat panels. This is working just great. I wanted to go to 4 monitors (please no flames here) so I tried to install an ATI RADEON 9250 PCI card. When the system rebooted, the new card worked immediately (the computer saw the new hardware, the drivers already existed because they were included with the first card). The problem is that while the device manager see the X700, I get a cryptic error about can not start device code 10. I looked up what code 10 meant and it doesn't help me10 This device cannot start. (Code 10)
<font color="blue">
Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.
</font>
Because I couldn't make both work, I went back to a restore point and removed the new card and the old is working perfectly just like it was before I installed the 2nd card.

I admittedly know very little about PC's. I read that it's best to use 2 cards from the same company with the same drivers to avoid potential conflicts (which is what I did). Can someone either help me make this work or tell me it won't work and what I would need to do to make it work?

Thanks,

--Kevin
Old 12-10-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: XP MC, 2 Video Cards, Need Help

I would:

- Remove drivers.
- Shut down and install card.
- Boot.
- Install drivers.

Hope it works.