Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Canterbury question

I know there's a lot of canterbury regulars that post here and I'm just wondering what days the other games besides limit hold'em usually go. I'm looking to play 15/30 or 30/60 but am willing to play lower if it's a stud/8, stud, or omaha game.

As a side question do you think that canterbury would ever spread a mixed game like S.H.O.E. or Omaha hi/lo and stud/8 mixed?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Canterbury question

[ QUOTE ]
I know there's a lot of canterbury regulars that post here and I'm just wondering what days the other games besides limit hold'em usually go. I'm looking to play 15/30 or 30/60 but am willing to play lower if it's a stud/8, stud, or omaha game.

As a side question do you think that canterbury would ever spread a mixed game like S.H.O.E. or Omaha hi/lo and stud/8 mixed?

[/ QUOTE ]

the 15 game goes every day, and the 30 goes 99% of the time. they will never spread a mixed game, as they are rather anal and annoying in some respects. that said, the room is typically well run, and the games are usually fabulous.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as they are rather anal and annoying in all respects

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2005, 08:20 PM

They are only permitted certain games and limits under MN law. They almost always have a few SS Stud games going. Most of the time these days there's a 6/12 Stud/8 going. They did have a 4/8 half-kill Omaha/8 that went every day until the old farts left at midnight or so, but most of the O/8 guys now play the Stud/8 game, so the O/8 rarely goes. They have a 10/20 or 20/40 O/8 game that generally runs once a week, I think on Monday.

The cardroom is exceptionally well run, better than any Vegas room I played in, but they are very quick to interrupt any "misbehavior." It is Minnesota, and they like the room sedate and pleasant. If you are loud, they will politely ask you to quiet down a bit. If you are abusive to a fellow player or dealer, they will ask you to leave without hesitation (but generally not ban you). This generally happens only after a warning, and I've never seen them toss out someone who was't being a dick.

MN law forbids bets above $60, so there is no game higher than 30/60. At night there is always at least one 15/30 and one 30/60. Usually there are one or two must-moves for these limits as well.

There is no spread limit game, something a few MN cardrooms have done, since the $60 limit gets in the way of playing NL.

As to other games being run, or a mixed game within what they are allowed to spread (SHOE would be allowed, not sure about HORSE), this is unlikely. They have 34 tables and all are full almost every evening. On weekends the wait can be one or two hours. There is no incentive to compete by running a mixed game or spread limit game when they have a full house.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I used to live here so I know pretty much how the games play. I'll probably try tomorrow and play some stud/8, omaha/8, and hold'em if there's nothing else.