Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 11:50 PM

Default For The Record...

My post earlier regarding the 30-60 game must have been misinterpreted. I was not bragging about beating the game, nor was i saying i was beating the game "easily".

That post was there to see if anyone noticed the same things that i did when i made the switch from 15-30 to 30-60.

I apologize to those of you who were offended by the post and took it to believe that I was superior and had found easy pickings in my 10K hands experience.

In no way, shape, form, or fashion was i trying to brag.

I hardly think that earning less than 2/3 of one BB/hr. is worth bragging about.

All I wanted was some feedback from other players who made the switch and what nuances and observations they noticed in their personal play and results.

The comment about the aces, well, the point of that was a huge preflop favorite gets narrower as more hands come against it. Give me AA every time, sure, i'll play it. But for pete's sake, you mean to tell me that you want eight way action when you've got AA?!?? And all eight players seeing the river?

Again, i apologize to those of you who misunderstood what i was saying- nothing about this game is easy, and i'll never tell you that it is. I dont know how it came off as bragging, but if it did, it wasn't supposed to.

MY BAD. NEXT TIME i wont open my mouth until my post IS THE NUTS<. Well, maybe not. LOL.

c-ya at the tables....30-60 that is....PP M-F 10:00-2:00

Tex
Old 09-15-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: For The Record...

[ QUOTE ]
The comment about the aces, well, the point of that was a huge preflop favorite gets narrower as more hands come against it. Give me AA every time, sure, i'll play it. But for pete's sake, you mean to tell me that you want eight way action when you've got AA?!?? And all eight players seeing the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer all 10 in and capped preflop. If they all have the plan to see the river before the board is even out, well, all the better for me.

Here's some numbers (this is assuming random hands, but even with better than average hands, AA's equity is still large):
Against 1 opponent: ~85%
Against 5 opponents: ~49%
Against 9 opponents: ~30%

So heads up, assuming the pot is 2x (with x being the amount put in by each player), my equity is 0.85 * 2x = 1.7x. So I'm getting 0.7x more than I put in.
With 5 players, my equity is 0.49 * 5x = 2.45x. This is a return of 1.45x over the x I put in.
With 9 players, I'm getting 0.30 * 10x = 3x. So my equity is 2x more than I originally put in. I think you see the point here.

Now, you asked, "even with all of them seeing the river". These numbers are assuming that all of you go to showdown. The thing is, assuming all of your opponents are stupid enough to say, "oh big pot, I'm going to see showdown", and you're not, then you can fold when it's obvious your dead and save bets. So your expected value is actually higher.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:08 AM

jesus.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STILL with this.

give it up man, if you dont understand this, you cant understand poker any deeper.

Barron
Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd rather win a dinky pot with a premium hand?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 AM

Old 09-15-2005, 04:39 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we mean to tell you that. Actually, many have already told you that. Over and over. Do you only raise preflop to get people to fold? To limit the pot? Does 'value betting' mean anything to you?

Now I'm wondering if you're value betting your draws.

[ QUOTE ]
c-ya at the tables....30-60 that is....PP M-F 10:00-2:00

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes one wonder if this is a gimmick account or not...

b
Old 09-15-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact you don't understand this illustrates your limited understanding of the game.

You are basically claiming - with Aces - it's better to win 75% of the time in pot that are small (say 6 BB) rather than win 35% of the time in pots that are huge (say 30 BB).

Now which part of that don't you understand?

I mean, I know what you mean - when I have aces and it gets capped around 5 players I know my chances of winning are smaller than when I'm heads up, but I also understand that I'm making far more because I have the best hand and am more likely to win than any other player.

I have seen this explained in the SS forum in the last year, but I'm not going to spend any further time on this post just to lose myself again in the search function.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Look, i am fully aware that when you have a capped preflop with many players, you want the best hand. In fact, I understand that you gain when a secnd best hands comes against you. Whatever. I still dont want eight way action with two aces. Is it possible to agree to disagree in this forum?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to agree to disagree in this forum?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure. Just ignore math, logic, and the input of fantastic poker players and insist on clinging to your mistaken beliefs. Also, I have a feeling that if you post your name you may actually see a lot of posters at the tables.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:13 PM

Dear Tx,

I recently started reading and posting in Mid/High because after tons of lurking I realised that some real poker experts posted here and gave thoughtful, incredibly helpful analysis of the game even though they gained little to nothing helping relative n00bs like me. The signal:noise ratio is fabulous compared to most of the other forums here. You are ruining that. Please stop. Go post in the WPT forum or Micro, where hundreds of posters will be able to explain to you why AA in an 8way capped pot rules without getting in the way of the excellent discussion that goes on here.

Thanks,

rm