Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Is there a way to get away form this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
maybe check-raise after the flop would have been better way, I would throw my 88 away after it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why check-raise? Why would you want to push out someone who's drawing to 2 outs against your flopped monster? On the river, the ONLY hands that have you beat are:

2/2
5/8
8/8

You want to try and make as much money off these hands as possible, not push people out because you're scared and only make a piddling when you might be able to get all of your opponents chips.

This post sounds more like a bad beat post than a "how can I get away from flopping trips and rivering a boat" hand.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe check-raise after the flop would have been better way, I would throw my 88 away after it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why check-raise? Why would you want to push out someone who's drawing to 2 outs against your flopped monster?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]"I think 325$ raise after flop push out almost everybody, so why didnt he slowplay with trips ?"

On the river, the ONLY hands that have you beat are:

2/2
5/8
8/8

You want to try and make as much money off these hands as possible, not push people out because you're scared and only make a piddling when you might be able to get all of your opponents chips.

This post sounds more like a bad beat post than a "how can I get away from flopping trips and rivering a boat" hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-14-2005, 02:00 PM

I dont think that there is such a thing as a "bad beat" just bad decisions or good luck for someone else. I dont even read any Bad beat stories, its just people crying about not winning, I play for money not glory so any win is a win for me I just try to think of how I could have seen a hand comming, people will draw out on you it happens. but I love to see how I could have got away from the hand.
In this case It was't a bad beat he had me at the turn and I was doing all the betting.
My thought so far are like this
I din't check the flop because I never slow play trips if I only hold one of the cards in my hand. I guess I could have bet 5-700 mabey he would have folded the 88 but I think he made a bad call on the flop and made the nuts on the turn. it happens.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just came off of a 5th place live tounemnet win and the next day a 7th place Online touney win, feeling confindent entered another event the next day a was out in the first 10 min.

I hold A5 in the BB no raises

Flop 525 I bet $325 button calls
Turn is an 8 I bet $325 button calls
river is a 2 I bet all in button calls
Button wins with Pocket 8's

I probably should not have bet all in on the river because I had him on a weaker 5 and it would be a chop, but it was early and you guys no how some freaks over play AK,AQ, ect. with a low card board. I don't think I made any huge errors but tell me how to lay this down or not go broke.

Thanks folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stack sizes, texture of the flop, buy in, site, and how many people saw the flop would be nice.

I think most people on this board go broke there, you really have no info on villian's hand.

But I'm wondering...

1. What's your logic in betting out on the flop? Why not check it? I'd be slow playing trips w/ an ace here, *especially* heads up. I don't know why villian called, maybe he thought you were trying to buy it or something.

2. You know villian has called you on the flop. I'd still assume I had the best hand, and I think I check/push here. It's hard to tell b/c I don't know how much you have behind and also villian's stack. There's really no reason not to get it all in on the turn, now that he's called your flop bet.

Obviously the result wouldnt be any different, but I don't think you played this hand correctly.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought so far are like this
I din't check the flop because I never slow play trips if I only hold one of the cards in my hand. I guess I could have bet 5-700 mabey he would have folded the 88 but I think he made a bad call on the flop and made the nuts on the turn. it happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I responded w/o seeing responses to your post. This is *very* bad strategy. Heads up, A5 on that board is a monster. There's like 3 hands that beat you. This is slow play city.

If you don't slow play this, you arent playing correctly.

The only exception is if you believe villian is more likely to get suckered in by fast play. Ie you have a read that he won't believe you and will come back all in at you. Generally that's not the case tho, and you want to give villian a chance to draw to a worse hand.

Look at it this way: Villian should have folded to your flop bet and you wouldn't have gotten paid. In online MTTs, you *must* maximize every good hand you get.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Shrug, I see nothing wrong with this line, although we don't know how big a $325 bet was in relation to the blinds. As long as the flop bet is relatively small - maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the pot - you should get someone with overcards to stick around. I would have checked the turn, though, to try and invite some action.

I don't see how you avoid going broke. If you had checked the river and been raised all-in, are you really folding a 5? I guess you might, if the stacks were huge in relation to the pot, but I don't think that's the case.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't really mean that. If so, how do you play it...assuming you opponent has a pair? Check-raises show too much strength.

Actually, a play i would really like here, is check-calling the flop, lead the turn. <-- an idea strassa threw out there a couple weeks ago.

Either way you go broke. No one will fold this hand at any point.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:12 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

Yeah, why do you ALWAYS have to slow play trips in that spot? A lot of opponents seeing you bet will think "well, he can't have a 5, he'd slow-play it" and figure their overpair is good and keep putting money in the pot.

I don't think there's ever a set way of playing in this spot, you MUST vary your play here or else you'll become too predictable and people won't pay you off.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't really mean that. If so, how do you play it...assuming you opponent has a pair? Check-raises show too much strength.

Actually, a play i would really like here, is check-calling the flop, lead the turn. <-- an idea strassa threw out there a couple weeks ago.

Either way you go broke. No one will fold this hand at any point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was mostly responding to OP's post that he "never slow plays flopped trips". I like strassa's line here too, calling the flop and leading the turn still counts as a slow play to me. Personally my default here is to probably call the flop and turn, or depending on how villian bets the turn check/push or check/raise it. It really depends how I feel about villian and the tournament generally.

What I was really talking about tho is hero betting 325 into this pot. He says it's like the first ten minutes of the tourney, that means blinds are 15/20 (presumably) and he's betting like 325 into this pot [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] That's definatly not the bet I make here, I don't want to scare villian out.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:35 PM

Well its a live tournament, so i'm assuming the blinds were set up differently.