Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 12:52 AM

Default How would you play bottom two pair?

Fived handed play. Blinds at 10-20.
UTG (over 500) and button (over 300) limp. SB folds. hero (96 chips left after posting) checks with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Does hero push or check raise all in?

UTG and Button are passive preflop, but capable of making small moves at pots post flop. I knew I was getting all my money in with the hand regardless of what the turn came. Can I check the flop and hope someone bets, or am I trying to win what is already there?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: How would you play bottom two pair?

You have 96 chips left? uhh push right away
Old 09-12-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. With 2 pair, you want to double or triple up, not win the 60 chips in the pot. I say do whatever it takes to get your opponents to put their money in.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. With 2 pair, you want to double or triple up, not win the 60 chips in the pot. I say do whatever it takes to get your opponents to put their money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

And give them free cards on such a coordinated board?

No thanks. You are going to get called 80 % of the time here, you will look like a desperate small stack shoving his chips in.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No thanks. You are going to get called 80 % of the time here, you will look like a desperate small stack shoving his chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then what difference does it make? Why does giving free cards matter if you're planning on putting all your chips in no matter what the turn is? The only possible reason for pushing on the flop is to knock the other players out. All I'm saying is that by knocking them out, you waste 2 pair and still are extremely short stacked.

Edit: PS - You also give someone a chance with Ax to catch an ace or something and call you down.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with splashpot.

With 96 chips I want to win 250 chips with bigger risk.

By pushing you'll probably lose at least one player.

NP: Kreator - Betrayer
Old 09-12-2005, 06:51 AM

I think a flop checkraise is fine. Even if one of them minbets I would push all in.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:12 AM

Dear All:

I disagree with the check-raise option in general for NL and in particular for this hand in this particular situation.

In a SNG the highest value is making the money:

1. With 96 chips, adding 60 more with the blinds at 10/20 is a signifigant victory. This allows you to a) post blinds for at least 1 more round without having to be desperate and b) Accumulate chips to double through and really hurt someone/help yourself at the appropriate time.

2. With such a coordinated flop it is true that you are likely to get called by the random Q or straight draw or flush draw. But, what you really don't want is TWO callers. This is the benefit of the all in. You are unlikely to get two callers. So, you have a fine chance to win the pot right there or double through, while signifigantly lowering your chances of going broke.

3. While it is true that the check raise MAY provide you the best chance to win the tournament, offering you the chance to triple through, it also offers you best chance to go broke. And, SNG's are all about making the money AND then going for first place. There is no big hoorah or bracelet for winning a $100 SNG.

4. Now, having said all of this, if you have SIGNIFIGANTLY less chips than everybody else, I mean like 4 to 1 behind everybody, then the check-raise might be the best because you need to triple up here.

Just some thoughts.

Will
Old 09-12-2005, 09:05 AM

This is tough, but of course I've been in many situations like this. I think your answer is rooted in what gives you the best chance of winning. I think it's a huge check/raise rather than a push.

As someone else noted, picking up 60 chips lets you live another 10 hands. Getting them both all in and turning a ten means that you might even find yourself in contention.

It blows to give people a free card or lose a hand you could've won, but when you flop this monster you should be looking to double up or triple up. Plus, who knows...even if they turn flush, you still have redraws.

Basically I check/raise flop or tap turn. Even if turn is ace of hearts, you still gotta get it allin....these are the problems of being a short stack.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:12 AM

I just read the OP again and noticed that there isn't enough information to make a decision.

At first I (didn't read OP carefully and) thought this is a 1st or 2nd level of a 8000-1500 chip SNG where you'd be desperate with 150 chips and you'd need to triple up to have decent shot at top 3.

As it's 5 handed and 3 players have total of 900 chips I suspect there isn't that much chips in play (could be though).

Also the next blind level and when will the blinds rise are needed. And of course how many places pay.

If the average stack size is around 300, first 3 pay and blinds are at this level at least the next orbit then I'm probably open pushing.

Check-raise might still be good option, but I'd need to have a good read that there'll be a bet after my check.

NP: Dismember - Patrol 17