Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2002, 02:41 AM

Default Interesting 3-6 problem

Drank some beers and played some fun 3-6 on my Birthday the other day after 6 straight long work days. Saw the following interesting hand. (I am not involved).

3 loose limpers to unknown player (PFR) who raises. One cold caller and Hero defends in BB with Ad3d. 6 see the flop for 12sbs.

Flop: Ah2s2d

Question #1, how do you want to play this flop?

Hero bets. All fold to PRF who raises. Folded back to Hero.

Question #2, what now?

Hero calls. Turn is [Ah2s2d] 3c.

Question #3, what now?

Hero bets, PFR raises again, hero calls.

Question #4, what do you think of the turn play and what is your plan for the river?

Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2002, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Interesting 3-6 problem

If I couldn't get away from this hand on the flop in this situation, I'd be very leery of playing it to begin with.

I would check the flop and see what the action was behind me. If checked to PFR and PFR bets, I probably just fold (I'm worried about getting checkraised with three people in there, especially if I'm drawing to 3 outs and a runner runner).

Having made it to the turn, I would have checkraised the turn and called a 3-bet (followed by check-calling the river). If not 3-bet, I bet the river.

Old 12-20-2002, 03:25 AM

Question 1

Check raise the flop. This is the best play to get the hand heads up or take it outright.

Question 2

Checkraise the turn, your only beat by AA or 22 or 33, and I would not put 22 or 33 on his range of hands. If he reraises go into check call mode, if not bet out on the river.

Stu
Old 12-20-2002, 03:31 AM

Check raise the flop. This is the best play to get the hand heads up or take it outright.

What hands are you trying to make fold for 2 bets on the flop?

Old 12-20-2002, 03:42 AM

I want them all to fold, especially any hands with aces in them. I want to take this pot down and go to the next hand.

Stu
Old 12-20-2002, 04:03 AM

So you put down the pipe to drink some beers? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

On the flop, since there are so many players seeing the flop you want to try and get rid of some. Check-raising is a good option but I like betting out as you did. 1st, you could be representing a two, being in the big blind. 2nd, anyone who calls has to worry about a possible raise/re-raise if they call your bet. So you get the riff-raff cleared out and are heads-up with PFR once he raises. The raise is probably bad news for you but a diamond on the turn would help, a 3 should give you a winner (if you are behind), and a King or Queen could earn you a split if you are behind.

The turn brings a great card for you. I would consider check-raising. Since you bet out and get raised, I think you should have re-raised. I think he has either AK or AA. Most people with AA would not raise such a monster on the flop.

Since you just called his raise on the turn, I'm guessing you are going for a check-raise on the river assuming no King or Queen comes.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:04 AM

Flop, I am going to check, and expect that it will get checked to the preflop raiser. If he bets, I will fold if the coldcaller, calls or raises, if he folds, I will checkraise, and hope that I am playing against a pocket pair, and not an ace, and try and fold the rest of the hands.

Turn, I am going to three bet the turn, and lead out on the river.

River, Given that I bet-called the turn. I guess I am planning on checkraising the river.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:45 AM

I would bet this flop in order to represent a 2, get information (although many people will always slowplay trips), and mostly because I would not like it if it is checked to the raiser and he checks a hand like QQ or KK.

Seeing as no one else called and I was raised (indicating no 2s playing), I would checkraise the turn, only because I improved to beat AK. If I did not pick up the 3, I would still call down though.

Wow I haven't thought about this for a while!

KJS (lurking from Thailand)
Old 12-20-2002, 11:38 AM

I'd call the pre-flop raise.

I'd bet and call the flop raise.

I would re-raise the turn. AK, seems likely with an unknown. Maybe AQ. Don't think KK or less would be this aggressive, but who knows. If it's raised back to me then I worry about AA. I'd call it though.

If I don't get re-raised on turn, I bet the river. Raised again here? Yuk. I guess I call.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:33 PM

Default Results

A few thoughts:

Stu - I think Dynasty makes a great point. There aren't any aces folding for 2 bets on this flop in a live LL table. This table in particular, no ace would fold to checkraise pressure. Given the texture of the board, I don't think a better hand will fold.

Riff - I wasn't involved. You need to stop speed reading. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

At the table I thought that betting was fine, probabaly better than checkraising since KK is really unlikely to raise here given the board texture. Hero could then fold to a raise.

The problem is that the pot is too big at that point to fold to a raise. Assuming the probable AK, hero has the 2-2's, 3-3's and 1-A as outs while getting 15-1 on a call. He simply can't bet and fold to a raise.

Going for a checkraise doesn't seem great either because you can't get a better hand to fold, and all worse hands are drawing nearly dead.

I think check-calling is the preferred option here. I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

On the turn, I think that since he bet the flop, he should checkraise. Since he led, 3-betting seems best. If he had simply check-called, I would have checkraised the turn.

Result: Hero calls turn. River makes the final board [A223]K. Hero check-calls and loses to AA.