Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 05:06 PM

Default How often will quads over quads happen?

I've played about 500,000 hands in the last year, and maybe close to a million hands online since I started playing poker, and I haven't seen quads over quads yet. In fact I've never seen a hand that would qualify for a bad beat jackpot where Aces full loses.

I've seen straight flushes lose (1 card flush though), and I've had 6 or 7 Royal flushes in that time, but I've yet to see quads lose. I wonder if the expectation is more often than once in a million hands.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Re: How often will quads over quads happen?

I don't know, David, but I can add my big hands here from almost a year of online play: I've beaten Aces full twice, once with a St. Flush and once with quads. I've had my aces full beaten once, by quad deuces. That's it. I do remember making quad nines in a game a few years ago and losing to a srtraight flush, but these instances certainly do seem rare.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 06:57 PM

There's about an order of magnitude difference in the probability of quads over quads, and a royal flush. Once you've seen about 10 royals you should see quads over quads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've seen a flopped set over set over set. I think that's my rarest moment.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That must have been a massive pot.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:08 PM

Yah, I was in one of those too. First day I moved up to 3/6, and I was the sucker with the middle set. Flop was AT7, (One guy had AA, I had TT, and another 77) and I think the only straight that was possible in the end was the wheel, and no flush possibility as well.

Also FWIW, I've lost or beaten a hand that would qualify for the bad beat jack pot as far as I'm aware of in about 80k hands played.

Ponks
Old 08-09-2004, 07:20 PM

I've lost quads over quads. Thank god for party's heads-up beting cap.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:26 PM

In my lifetime I've been involved in two hands that would have qualified for bad beat jackpots.

One with J9s and a flopped straight flush that went against a flopped set and turned quads (in a home game NL tourney close to 2 years ago), and the second with AA on a KKJAJ board that amazingly lost to a rivered royal. I have also seen a friend lose with AA to QQ on an AQxxQ board online.

In all of my playing experience and watching others play I'd guesstimate it to be about 500,000-700,000 hands.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:27 PM

From ages ago but still found it a fun hand. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (29 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (24.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (34.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 42.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 42.50 BB, between SB, UTG, Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="black">Pot won by Hero (42.50 BB).</font>

<font color="black">
SB shows Ks Kh (three of a kind, kings).
UTG shows 8d 8c (three of a kind, eights).
Hero shows Ad Ac (three of a kind, aces).
MP3 shows Jc As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 42.50 BB. </font>
Old 08-09-2004, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen AA, KK, JJ, and 88 out on a KJ8 flop. My friend was the AA. Luckily he had it in him to get outta the way on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT TO ADD: This hand occured at a B&amp;M, so, here's some more evidence that all the B&amp;M's are rigged [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 07:54 PM

How big were the quads? just crious, and were they flopped sets, quads, etc? Thanks.