Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Questionable Laydown - My First! (200 PLO8b)

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes. I don't see the value in playing KK23 anywhere but shorthanded and/or heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm. I'd prefer playing it in a full ring game; playing overpairs for value (required in SH) is much tougher than playing sets for value (what you would be doing in full ring). Same goes for a 23 low; SH you might be playing a 3rd nut low with some strength, full ring it's very black & white, you fold w/out an A on the board.

Obviously KK23 has great value in a SH/HU game, but I think it's equally if not more valuable in a full ring.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont like the preflop or the planned check-raise.

Catch My Bitch, the LAG, when you have a hand. A better hand will come around for you soon. Then try to take the LAG's stack then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me give you a different perspective. I am a total sucker in this game, losing close to $6000 in the last year playing in the $100 and the $200 buy in games on various sites (mainly Party and Stars - screenname willmay3. You want to play at my table!).

It is EXACTLY these types of hands and playing them EXACTLY as you have described that have caused me to go broke. I'm not sure I would have folded preflop now with my increased discipline, but the idea of slapping around a BIOTCH with an overpair and a WEAK low draw smells of Hold 'Em thinking to me.

I know this smell well - it smells like a bankroll being burned.

You are looking for is an opportunity where you KNOW you have a lock one way and are freerolling on his punk ass for the other half (I speak as a recovering punk ass on this one).

You are no where near that. You have a dubious high and an even more dubious low and you could be drawing almost dead in both directions.

This is what I call a "might-but hand." I might have him beat high, and I might have him beat low, BUT if I don't I can still draw out on him.

I've gone broke (in the poker sense - send FPP to willmay3rd@yahoo.com to help out) with this sort of brain damaged thinking.

What you want is a "I Know" hand. Like I KNOW I have the nut low, and I'm drawing to a scoop on the nut flush.

In Hold 'Em you can't wait for the nuts and hope to win. In PLO8, ESPECIALLY against LAG's, you sure as hell can. You may only, really win 1 pot an hour, but it will be HUGE.

Just to share with you, while I was losing all this money at PLO8 I was winning an incredibl amount of pots at show down, over 93%. That means in 93% of the time I was winning at least 1/2 the pot. But, thinking like I think you are thinking (may be wrong), that 7% was a real BIOTCH. I was getting scooped monster pots by, really, average players playing patient games.

This is the way to beat this game.

Pick a better spot with this guy.

With Regards,

Will

p.s. - I hope I didn't come of as an [censored], it's just I've been there (I might still be there).
Old 12-13-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to share with you, while I was losing all this money at PLO8 I was winning an incredibl amount of pots at show down, over 93%. That means in 93% of the time I was winning at least 1/2 the pot. But, thinking like I think you are thinking (may be wrong), that 7% was a real BIOTCH. I was getting scooped monster pots by, really, average players playing patient games.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Beset, this guy should be banned on account of being ...
Old 12-13-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Beset, this guy should be banned on account of being a fking idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Balz, you have no idea. After awhile you'd think I'd get a clue wouldn't you? Thank God for Limit HE which allowed me to play 1200 hours of poker last year and make a big, fat, whopping $6, for an earn rate of 1/2 of 1 cent per hour ! Just awesome!

So, now I still play PLO8 but I'm a actually winning (new thing for me). We'll see if it keeps up.

With Regards,

Will
Old 12-13-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Beset, this guy should be banned on account of being a fking idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Balz, you have no idea. After awhile you'd think I'd get a clue wouldn't you? Thank God for Limit HE which allowed me to play 1200 hours of poker last year and make a big, fat, whopping $6, for an earn rate of 1/2 of 1 cent per hour ! Just awesome!

So, now I still play PLO8 but I'm a actually winning (new thing for me). We'll see if it keeps up.

With Regards,

Will

[/ QUOTE ]
I should be clearer. Winning 93% of pots at showdown is either a lie or a misunderstanding. It is impossible to do, unless you *intentionally* call to the river and then fold every hand where you don't hold the nuts. And if you do have W$SD of 93%, it is virtually impossible to be a losing player. Take a look at any common PTO database; no player with a reasonable # of hands can have the stats you describe. 93% & losing is just about impossible to explain, statistically, for a rational player to arrive at.

Prove me wrong if you like, just take a PTO screenshot (I assume this is where your information comes from).
Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 AM

Why is this a questionable laydown? It should've been layed down before the flop. But after you have nothing but K's, what's the debate here? Release it like a disease.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It should've been layed down before the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. If you are routinely folding KK23 preflop, especially in position, you are not maximizing your win rate. This hand is extremely playable.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:54 AM

I wish could win 93% at SD in ANY game. That'd be be the nuts.