Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: 2 Folds against the same guy

[ QUOTE ]
CERTAINLY call that river. He's making a tiny bet into a large pot. I think you are good here often enough to make the call. It looks like a blocking bet to me (which, he could be doing with a better hand than yours in this case). If he hit his flush he should be betting more than 1/4 of the pot. Why call a large raise on the draw if you aren't going to get max value on the river when you hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing with the river is that it is pairing the board. As far as the other guy is concerned I probably have a boat now so he doesn't push the river with his flush like he planned to and just bets small. I didn't really consider the fact that he is making a blocking bet with a weaker king, but how often does KJ ever get this far?

-SmileyEH
Old 12-12-2005, 04:48 PM

hand 1 is different but seems alot like how I play some hands... I raise a little less on the turn and pay off the river.

hand 2 im not sure why you played your hand like you did, but river was good fold
Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but how often does KJ ever get this far?

[/ QUOTE ]

The beauty of your line is... very often
Old 12-12-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in Hand 2, I think you should really bet or check raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB in this hand was really tight and I hadn't seen him lead yet, so I wanted to keep the pot size under control. I was worried that if I checkraised and both guys called there were a ton of turns or rivers that would put me in an ugly spot. Is this weak or prudent?

-SmileyEH
Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but how often does KJ ever get this far?

[/ QUOTE ]

The beauty of your line is... very often

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, ok. I'm glad the rest of the hand was ok because frankly it seemed pretty much standard until the river. It's tough coming from a limit mentality of always paying off on the river, and then having to balance it with it the need to make good folds in nl. I guess I went a little overboard on this hand.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Hand 2: Don't mess around with bottom 2, it is too easy to counterfiet. Flop bet 2/3 pot to pot. Turn do the same. River fold was the right play, the key is to take it down before the river (or make your opponent invest a lot of $ when he is behind)
Old 12-12-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The thing with the river is that it is pairing the board. As far as the other guy is concerned I probably have a boat now so he doesn't push the river with his flush like he planned to and just bets small. I didn't really consider the fact that he is making a blocking bet with a weaker king, but how often does KJ ever get this far?

[/ QUOTE ]

(Hand 1 river)

I do realize that it looks like you are beat. But remember that he thinks you played it suspiciously, and he definately doesn't think you filled on the river, because he wouldn't lead out in that scenario. (It takes an odd mentality indeed to think you can block bet a guy who just boated).

You need to be ahead only 17% of the time here to show a profit. Combine that with the metagame aspect of "not letting people know they can push you off hands where you've raised twice with a tiny blocking bet on the river".

It's hard to put him on a specific hand here, but you are definately priced in.

You need to call.

You will then be able to be more comfortable with your fold on hand 2.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:25 PM

What about betting the flop in Hand 1 because you will also bet this flop with 65s?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Hand 1
I've been trying out this line a bit and I'm fine with it. With 2 opponents a flop bet may be better but it depends on how wide their hand ranges are. Depending on the player MP could have a wide range here and a bet would be better but since you said he was a TAG this probably isn't the case. You've got to think you can get enough from them on later streets to make up for the multiple 2 or 3 outers, though.

I usually can't fold these rivers because of the odds but I think it's a good fold. You've shown a lot of strength on the turn.

Hand 2
I find small 2 pair oop a difficult hand so I'm not sure what I'd do but I don't like your flop line. You just don't want to keep people in the pot. With this board I think that overrides pot control.

James
Old 12-12-2005, 05:40 PM

Hand 1 looks like a blocking bet, I call pretty fast. You only have to win 20% and Im willing to bet at least 50%. HAnd 2 bet flop, yeah I guess I fold river.