Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: The Self Righteous Arrogant and MY POKER PROGRESSION

Stack - I can ASSURE you, post count does not represent nearly anything on these forums - besides how active one trolls.

You can sort of tell how lonely one is by their postcount. Then you can tell how much time they spend online, etc. That sort of thing you can determine by looking at post count, poker skill? Ummm I've seen people here with a thousand posts who are still playinf 3/6.

I am sorta saddened, because if they spent the time that they spent trolling forums, actually playing and learning the game, they wouldn't still be stuck at 3/6 or 5/10, but I digress.

For the sake of the argument - go to OOT and pick the first 20 random people with more than 2 thousand posts.

Then see what level they play at. You'd be surprised how little postcount has to do with skill. That's like saying Barry Greenstein sucks because he got like 15 posts on these boards total.

Is it your regular routine to ignore all content and troll? (Barron, ggqman etc)

Oh sorry checking your postcount, yes that is it.

No further questions.

How about responding to the contents of the post. You remind me of 50 year old grannies who can't hear [censored]. So they judge what you meant to say by the first 2 words they hear, or whichever ones stick out in their mind more.

Trying to turn a thread with a good point and something to think about into "oh he said nazi, that's so inappropriate", yes...
Old 09-15-2005, 03:04 AM

You don't think that those who have bothered to stay around here for a year, two years, or more have picked up something in that time? You don't think that there is a base of knowledge that exists in the posters with 2K+ posts that comes from reading these forums all day? I'll gladly admit that half my posts are either in OOT or **Official** tourney threads, but I also know that "young" posters such as yourself don't understand many of the things that are building blocks for our posts. In MHL, we require that these building blocks be in place.

As for your post count=respect idea, this is just nonsense. I remember not one week ago complementing a 200 post member on his thorough and correct evaluation of a hand - surprising me, because I had not noticed him before. It is certainly true that there are plenty of players, particularily in OOT who have 10K posts and it is uncertain if they actually play poker or not. These posters do not get respect for poker advice (mainly because they don't even try to give it.) However, posters that you frequently see posting here or MHNL or MTT or SNG and are posting responses, not questions, AND have a high post count tend to know what they are talking about because they THINK about hands.

All I have left to say is this. You are:
Old 09-15-2005, 04:12 AM

I know she's not Miss. Popular over in OOT, but I could get used to seeing her in more threads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 04:14 AM

She's pretty freakin fabulous if you ask me. Did you see that she loves cookiing?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:21 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

This is a general observation. Not necesarily aimed at the OP. But my thoughts on this quote...

[ QUOTE ]
but I also know that "young" posters such as yourself don't understand many of the things that are building blocks for our posts. In MHL, we require that these building blocks be in place

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it used to be more like that. Old days, if you came in and asked a basic question you'd be instantly referred down to the small stakes (no micros back then). You used to have to get ready to think a bit before going into the MHF. Though, back then, small stakes rocked! It's a little different now from what I hear.

Nowadays, if you refer guys to the other forums, some guys take it as an insult that you'd refer them there. Like it's beneath them. How dare they. God forbid you tell them where the 'beginner' forum is. After all, they play 40-80 but can't figure out how to play QQ in MP with one limper preflop.

I think many do point out things in those types of posts. They can tell right where the poster is at skillwise based on how he puts his thoughts/reasoning down. So instead of answering the posters main question, they'll focus on something that will likely be more useful at the moment for the poster to explore. Because they've been there before. They recognize the thought pattern. But then the 'new' posters ego takes a beating as they sometimes think they know better because they've played 5k hands at 5/bb hour acting like they'll stake their whole career on that sample size and screw anyone who tries to tell them they might be lacking in areas not in question but are reflected in said post. We see those types of posts all the friggin' time. Followed a month or so later with the 'how do I beat bad players/world falling apart because they lost 70bbs over 3 sessions' posts. All of which one used to have to have a grasp of to get any respect in the MHF.

The mid forum wasn't the place to go to get your hand held while you learned the basics or clarification on SSHE concepts, swings, etc. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems to be going that way. I understand the frustration of some of the regulars in that forum. There's a reason they have 3 or 4 different forums for limit holdem.

b
Old 09-15-2005, 05:22 AM

I have been avoiding OOT as a dangerous threat to my time. I think my concern is justified, it looks like a lot of fun [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 06:40 AM

Default The idea comes from the

rock - a/k/a: the weak tight guy who will never get over how bad his luck is - who just lost a huge pot with AA; it was capped seven ways preflop,capped four ways on the flop, 3-bet on the turn and checked down on the river - with our rock last to act - because the off-suit deuce scared him. While a scare card like this one would scare any good player when added to a rainbow board of . . . K - 9 - 7 - 4 it turns out in this instance he had reason for pause; the deuce did indeed turn him into toast while making an easy winner out of - drumroll please . . . the ever popular K-2 off.

As he walks out to his car, the car he bought with the money he made of tourists who routinely play K-2, and drives home to his apartment which he pays for with money donated by those same tourists he vows to author a post on the 2+2 forum entitled, "AA + 7 opponents = toast".

I hope that answered your question.

The more useful - and less sarcastic answer/explanation is . . .

AA does lose some value when facing large fields IF the hands it's facing are quality holdings being played by solid players; if instead of this you have 6+ opponents playing virtually random cards your expectaion goes up with every additional call - specifically preflop but theoretically on every betting round. That said, there is a nightmare scenario for AA, or for any big pair.

If you run AA against three or four pocket pairs and one or two suited connectors it can get ugly.

While AA will still win a huge amount of $ in this matchup if there were no post-flop betting the fact is there IS action after the flop and this action will in no way benefit AA if a 3rd Ace does not hit the board and will often hurt it even when it does make a set.

It's not a complicated concept; Mike Caro once wrote an article entitled "Everyone in the world is playing poker" in which he depicted this in a crystal clear manner. I seem to recall him also describing an hypothetical hand in which KK flops a set and on the flop - in spite of the fact that KK is ahead - it has less than a 5% chance of winning the hand. Three flopped sets and two 15-out draws leave only the fourth King or a running pair as his outs and given that some of those running pairs make a straight flush for one of the drawing hands even these are not "clean" outs.

I shall now be lambasted by the masses for the length of this post as well as the fact that by failing to read every post in this thread I may have missed the one where (gulp) this question was already answered.

Oh well, as dad always said, "f--k'em if they can't take a joke".

Send me a private message if you need further clarification of the "AA = toast" concept.

Bye now -
Old 09-15-2005, 07:26 AM

Default What is OOT ? ? ?

Seriously -

I've never heard of it.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is it your regular routine to ignore all content and troll? (Barron, ggqman etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two Barron's on this board that I know of ... this comment is nowhere near applicable for either of us.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: What is OOT ? ? ?

Other Other Topics.

Don't say I didn't warn you