Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Post-Oak Bluff vs. TAG

Pot-limit Omaha Hi $10+$1 (real money)

Seat 2: Button ($3,495 in chips)
Seat 7: Villain (SB)($4,895 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero [10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] ($2,880 in chips)
Seat 9: UTG ($3,730 in chips)

PRE-FLOP
2 folds, Villain raises to $250, Hero calls $150.

FLOP [board cards 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Villain bets $200, Hero raises to $400, Villain calls $200.

TURN [4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Villain checks, Hero bets $400, Villain folds.

SHOWDOWN
Hero wins $1,700.

Villain was very aggressive preflop and on the flop, often potraising whenever there was multiple limps to his BB, and had raised my BB everytime we got heads-up so far (which had been at least 10 times). He had generally been limping with small cards and raising big cards like AKxx, JJxx, AJ9x, etc. in any position.

Does anyone pop this back preflop? I like my hand but I think I'd rather hit a nice flop and bust him with a checkraise if I hit a nice draw.

I hadn't seen him minbet a flop yet, he's either lead for pot or checked and potted the turn when he's had something. He hadn't been making a lot of crying calls with marginal hands, so I figured it'd be cheaper for me to minraise the flop then put in a sweetener bet on the turn. He's been fully capable of folding big pocket pairs on non-threatening boards to weird raises.

I understand this is just a $10 SNG, but the guy seemed like a genuinally tough player. Too sophisticated/just stupid/works against tough players who have a muck button?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Post-Oak Bluff vs. TAG

My own thought is that AAxx goes WAY up in value in tournament situation because of the escalating blinds.

I personally would recommend playing back at him, not to keep him from stealing your blinds (although that might happen), but mainly because you can't get almost all in on the flop if he calls.

Just a thought.

With Regards,

Will May
Old 07-19-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone pop this back preflop? I like my hand but I think I'd rather hit a nice flop and bust him with a checkraise if I hit a nice draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I just call with the blinds at this level and given the stack sizes. Next level I would pop a pot sized re-raise at him given his constant aggression. If the stack sizes were reversed I might pop him back.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:31 PM

I have a mistype. Sorry guys. I should have said BECAUSE YOU CAN GET ALMOST ALL IN ON THE FLOP.

Tilt, I would not play it the way you are suggesting. I think you want to commit as many chips as possible preflop with AAxx with the money so shallow here. You undoubtedly have the best hand and may win it right here. Just some thoughts.

With Regards,

Will
Old 07-19-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you want to commit as many chips as possible preflop with AAxx with the money so shallow here. You undoubtedly have the best hand and may win it right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't have AAxx.

I'd still go ahead and repop it, unless you feel the table competition is so weak that you'll find a better spot to get your money all in. IMO, you'll get the TAG to fold a fair amount of time, you'll get called where about 50/50 a fair amount, and you'll be slightly, but not very, behind sometimes. I'd gamble right here, and let this guy know you're not to be messed with [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].
Old 07-19-2005, 06:36 PM

I guess the money wouldn't be all in (absent a reraise by villain, which I'd likely call), but all the more reason to go ahead and raise back preflop: 1) hope for a fold; 2) hope for a pushable flop; or 3) hope for a bluffable flop.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't have AAxx.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOPS. Never mind [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]