Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2002, 02:07 AM

Default 10-20 - TABLE WITH MANIAC OPPONENTS!! WOULD YOU.......

Hello Everyone..
Hope Everybody is gettin all set for Christmas..

Anywhoo.

Sat down in a 10-20 game ( ultimately only for a short time ).

This table was the craziest table I have ever sat down in above a 5-10 limit!! Every hand was RAISE..RE-RAISE..CAP.. etc...

With the exception of myself, there was one other solid player in this game. ( a drastic change from my last few sessions of 10-20 )

Simple Question to all.

In this particular game, would you call $40 cold on 3rd street with 7-8-9 of spades when ALL of your outs are live? (For the nitpicky.. a forced low from 3d brought it in for the full $10, 1st raise came from a Qd,next from a Qh, and last from a Kd)

Also assume 7 way ( inclusing yourself ) till at least 5th street. Also assume lots of heat thru then...

CJ
Old 12-21-2002, 12:07 PM

Default Re: 10-20 - TABLE WITH MANIAC OPPONENTS!! WOULD YOU.......

seems like a simple question of math and balls! if you dont mind taking a bath every once in a while i would probably play it. a tougher question is whether to play a non SF draw such as a garden variety threeflush, or a hand with two flush cards out.

of course if you dont get a fourflush then you probably should be out of there even if you pair a card, if you will still take a lot of heat.

have you noticed that the 10-20 at foxwoods has gotten tougher? at least i have noticed that i am making more money at 5-10, although my forays up there are infrequent enough that i dont have a good sample.

Pat
Old 12-21-2002, 01:43 PM

"of course if you dont get a fourflush then you probably should be out of there even if you pair a card, if you will still take a lot of heat."
This is completely wrong. What you have is a premium hand for the game you're in, so you don't mind putting in a ton of bets on 3rd street, and on 4th street, even if the card you catch doesn't help you at all. The only times you can consider folding on 4th are: When your cards fall very dead (like if 4 or 5 spades and some straight cards land elsewhere), or when someone pairs their doorcard and you are almost sure they have trips. This second event will not happen much in a game like you describe, meaning that you won't be sure someone has trips because they're raising with so many hands on 3rd street. These hands can be frustrating, as you usually go all the way to the end with them, miss many more than you hit, and spend a lot each time. But the pot will be enormous when you do hit, which will easily compensate for those other times.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:10 AM

I would probably grit my teeth and call if my hand was very live. Your hand is still dependent on implied odds, which aren't as good when $40 is going in on third street. You're probably going to have to take one off on fourth whatever you catch, unless the situation becomes extremely unfavorable. Strap in!

I guess that I should qualify that. If you know that one of the raisers is incapable of, say, three-betting unless he's rolled-up, then you lay it down. I know a lot of people who won't three-bet with anything less than Aces, but you can draw out on those. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Why did you leave this game?
Old 12-22-2002, 03:15 AM

Hey Andy!

Why did you leave this game?

I didn't feel like I had enough funds on me at the time to continue in a game as wild as this. These pots were getting larger than many 20-40 pots!! I would have been really pissed if I dropped $600-900 in 5 or 6 hands and not had more money to continue against the morons..

CJ
Old 12-22-2002, 11:27 AM

I was about to reply until i read cero-z who said EXACTLY what i wanted to say.

You not only call all raises on third street, but even if you rag off on fourth street you still call again...

Flushes are where you make your money in this game.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:42 PM

This is obviously a premium drawing hand. You would rather not play it for $40 because this is hurting your implied odds, but with 7-way action you almost have to play it.

Lin
Old 12-24-2002, 12:03 AM

I've read quite a few of your posts and you give some god awful advice. You should play this hand, however, no way in hell should you laydown if you make openended or pair and not the four flush after multi way capped third. I don't even know what you are thinking. You certainly don't have odds to just hit the flush card.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:04 AM

This is a very very clear call.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:44 PM

ive played in a 6/12 game just like this (actually i was between two mexicans once who came to gamble so between the three of us it was capped every 3rd street (in the dark) )

honestly if youre not comfortable splashing around i think u were right to leave.

but if you are comfortable then yeah it gambling but its fun and if youre a good player youve got an edge somewhere in there.