Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2002, 08:38 AM

Default JJ in Big Blind 10-20 Hand

Loosish 10-20 game. I've just sat down in the big blind. Half the players are familiar regulars, half are strangers. My hand is J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] .

Unknown Middle Position limps. He's 30ish with a big stack of chips in front of him but doesn't look like a shark. Known 80-year-old Extreme Calling Station limps behind him, local Omaha/8 Pro limps in the cutoff, button folds, Unknown Airhead limps in the SB with a small stack. For better or worse, I check.

Flop: T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Airhead checks, I bet, Unknown Middle Position hitches noticeably and calls, Extreme Calling Station calls, O/8 Pro folds, Airhead calls.

Turn: T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, Unknown MP hesitates again, then bets, Extreme Calling Station calls (means nothing - he never folds before the river, and rarely then), Airhead calls ALL-IN for $15. I call.

River: 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

Airhead (who is all-in) tosses his cards in and leaves the table. I check, Unknown MP bets, Extreme Calling Station thinks and calls. I call.

Unknown turns over Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] , Extreme Calling Stations mucks, I lose.

Comments?

Lin
Old 12-06-2002, 08:43 AM

Default Re: JJ in Big Blind 10-20 Hand

Results aside I think leading out on the turn would be the best move here. I believe you played this hand a little timidly. checking/calling is rarely the correct strategy in hold'em. You'll find your hand to be good a great deal of the time in these types of situations.

PokerPrince
Old 12-06-2002, 10:02 AM

I'm with Prince. I would have bet the turn (as well as the river). Maybe I'm just a country boy but why did you slow down on the turn? Why not bet the river? Running fives anything to be scared of? Not saying you are wrong. Just wondering if you know something I don't (which would be no shocker). Thanks, H.B.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:16 AM

There seems to be a couple of ways to play this. I would check-raise the flop and see how the rest reacted. I would lead the turn, then maybe, check the river.

~stephen
Old 12-06-2002, 10:43 AM

Just one more vote for the old pump or dump pre-flop with JJ. Against this field you have to raise.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:24 PM

you give action like my old girlfriend gave head...i not to say your tight or anything but hows about a raise pre and bet here or there...someone flinches and your ready to check piss as if someone has a flush....you got the overpair and straightflush gutterball.If you cant bet that on the turn i would hate to see what you could bet if i went into full convulsions