Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2002, 12:04 PM

Default is pairing your door card a bad beat?

playing 5-10 stud at foxwoods. in one hour i got my door card paired with K's, J's and A's. I couldnt help but feel disappointed. it was a typical game which meant that if i paired it later i would have won a decent pot. as it was i only won about $20.

i definitely felt like it was a bad beat, since it is somewhat of a stroke of bad luck to pair your high door card.am i crazy or do others feel the same way?

Pat
Old 12-01-2002, 12:19 PM

Default Re: is pairing your door card a bad beat?

almost all times you pair your doorcard you should be glad. many times you still get action if it made you trips and if it didnt thats exacxtly the card you want. having people go out early after they paid a raise or even a reraise is no loss in stud.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:50 PM

At the higher limits normaly WON'T get the action,But thats OK .I'd rather win a small pot than lose a big one.I remember about 12yrs ago I was playing 15/30 stud I limp in against two long time pro's with QQQ.On 4th.street comes another Q.POOP! If I bet I know they will fold,If I check They know,So I say : Check! Just a minute !I bet!I thought I had i Queen and a Jack!I bet.Well thats a string bet no one lets me do that.Well Frank Henderson makes kings up and I got him for a couple of bets.He got a kick out of my check bet play.[he got me back about 4yrs ago beating my 4kings with his royal in a O/8 game].Oh well what goes around comes around..Have Fun! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2002, 02:00 AM

little story:
At the Mirage last year, 10/20 Stud, the fella to my right pairs his 8 door card. He bets one bet instead of the double bet. Everyone folds. He gets mad and flips up his quad eights and declares out loud, "Never bet your quads!!"
Two hands later, I have rolled up 9s and pair my door card. I hesitate and make a double bet. The King to my left calls! Yeah! I have a customer! I bet 5th and check 6th when she pairs her King. I check raised her on the river and she called.

Moral of the story: Always make the double bet on 4th Street.

-KeithO
Old 12-02-2002, 02:46 AM

Please tell me what kind of game your are playing where a player with 9s showing gets to check raise a player with Ks showing, even though in most games the Ks act first.

So you might have caught two pair? Okay, you forgot that part of the story. But I do not believe, then, that this player would fall into getting checkraised twice in a row if she had trip Ks. And if she has Ks full, she's putting in more bets on the river.

At best, your story is inaccurately related, at worst it is entirely apocryphal.

Mike
Old 12-02-2002, 05:40 AM

4th street:
My hand: 99/99
Her hand xx/Kx

6th street:
99/99 xx
XX/Kx x K
x = blanks
Your right, she led after 6th street and I raised her on the river, unfortunately she did not have Kings full. Sorry to confuse you. Moral of the Story stays the same.

Old 12-03-2002, 01:36 PM

Remember, some of the time, when you pair your doorcard, you started with a straight or flush draw, or hidden pair. At times like those you are just as happy when the opposition goes away when you bet. These circumstances make up for the times when you have the real goods and nobody gives you action.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:15 PM

you are right to a degree. but the difference is that at low limits if you make trips on fifth street you wil almost alwyas get play. but if it happens to occur on fourth street even these bad low limit players will fold. when you have a hand that is not that strong and they fold rarely happens, since you will almost always get play if you pair a door card that is not a face card. but when you make the big hands they will fold.

by the way my post is somewhat facetious. but it is unfortunate sometimes when it happens. if i could always win a big pot when i made trips poker would be a lot more fun! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pat
Old 12-03-2002, 03:03 PM

The worst is making quads. I did this once (3s) in 2-4, checked and was bet into on fourth and fifth by split 10s which added a pair of kings. Since I knew he would not fold kings up, I reraised on fifth and he called me down. The bad beat here was that he didn't fill!
Old 12-04-2002, 08:54 AM

Isn't that a game with a $1 ante and $2 bring-in? I'll take it.

Where pairing your door card is a bad beat is in spread limit games with no antes.

Lin