Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM

Default SPLIT 9s

2-4 studhigh party
cant get the history for this hand but heres how it went.
bring in to the right of me, i call with split 9s, j kicker. all live. one A behind me is the only higher up card than my 9s. He raises, 4 to the flop including me. the other callers have a 6 and 5 showing respectively.
My main question is when on fifth, after calling the ace on fourth when he caught a 3 and i caught an 8, I caught another 8 giving me two pair, 9s and eights. My board is now-9j9,88. He's got--A37 I bet out and he calls. other guy folds, now head up. 6th he blanks i bet again he calls. On 7th, i check call. Standard?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: SPLIT 9s

I think so. I think deciding to bet the river depends on how live his cards are. I think this is true given your pair of 8's are showing. I'm not sure how many call the river with the unimproved aces, although I usually do.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:28 PM

if im in his shoes, i check down unimproved aces. but bet aces up. now me knowing that, should i have check folded to a bet? chances are not that good that hell bluff but pot warrants a call, was my reasoning when i called.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:38 PM

I raise 3rd.

I bet out on the river. I espically bet out the river if I had a scary-ish board. That way I probably won't get raised.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:46 PM

y raise third when A behind you. Isnt that asking to get trapped? or only one overcard u see raise as ok?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:48 PM

Yeah, with only 1 overcard and a decent kicker, I'll put in the raise.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if im in his shoes, i check down unimproved aces. but bet aces up. now me knowing that, should i have check folded to a bet? chances are not that good that hell bluff but pot warrants a call, was my reasoning when i called.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 1/2-2/4 Party I'd pretty much never check/fold that river. I can't see check/call or betting out being too different, as in the former most people are going to bet their UI aces at this level anyway, while in the latter they're going to call with their UI aces because hell, it's aces. Just remember before you do either action, to do the standard "hesitate for 5-10 seconds", as that seems to always induce a bluff bet, or a call.

And raise 3rd.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:31 PM

If you do raise prior to the ace I would suggest to be prepared to fold if it does get raised, unless you have a super good kicker and your pair is live. Many people will quickly call the reraise. Folding seems to be more appropiate in many cases.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do raise prior to the ace I would suggest to be prepared to fold if it does get raised, unless you have a super good kicker and your pair is live. Many people will quickly call the reraise. Folding seems to be more appropiate in many cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon, isn't it easy to note someone who will make this play and run over them?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon, isn't it easy to note someone who will make this play and run over them?

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't one regular player in the 2-4 game that I'll make this fold against. And too many unknowns treat A high with garbage side cards like gold.