Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Bluntly put - was this play of mine stupid?

I am trying to get into a tighter, more aggressive style of play for NL HE. I have been playing on the $0.01/ 0.02 PS tables to develop prior to moving up and potentially getting my butt handed to me. I think my biggest error (other than totally botching my read on his hand) in this hand was trying to place a Loose Aggressive player on a hand in micro limit no-foldem holdem. Further information: Button had tried to buy several pots previously.

The hand in question:
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.01 BB (8 handed)

SB ($$1.12)
BB ($$0.96)
UTG ($$1.77)
UTG+1 ($$2.50)
Hero ($$9.08)
MP2 ($$0.98)
CO ($$2.39)
Button ($$6.21)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, UTG+1 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.12, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls $0.12, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.51) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.5, Button calls $0.50, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($1.51) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets $1.52, Button calls $1.52.

River: ($4.55) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, Button bets $2, Hero raises to $6.94, Button calls $2.07 (All-In).

Final Pot: $15.56

Result:
Hero: shows [Kh As] (a pair of Kings)
Button: shows [Ad 7d] (a flush, Ace high)

Comments are quite welcome.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Bluntly put - was this play of mine stupid?

Both draws had come off by the river.

If you want to get all of your money in with top pair, do it before the draws come off.

When someone comes to life after taking a lot of heat when a draw comes off, don't try to convince them that yours is bigger.

scrub
Old 05-27-2004, 08:34 AM

I would have either called or mucked at the river. Other than that I think you played it right.

What are the odds of someone hitting a runner runner flush. Isn't it something like 46:1? That guy was extremely lucky. He played the hand horribly in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the odds of someone hitting a runner runner flush. Isn't it something like 46:1? That guy was extremely lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

9/45 * 8/44 is 2/55, 26.5:1. The other player could win by catching another 7, too. It was only about 7:1 on the flop, and it is conceivable that the player thought an ace would be an out, or two non-clubs. I wouldn't play it that way, but I don't think it was terribly wrong. You have a lot more discretion about what to do with deep stacks when the pot is small if someone will misplay badly on later streets.

In limit, you may barely have time to express the level of strength of TPTK, so you may be able to bet the river for value. In no limit, routinely betting the pot or more on the flop, turn, and river with only TPTK is a huge leak. By the river, you are bluffing that you have a stronger hand.

If you pay off so much when a draw hits, you are making it right to chase, so don't complain when people do. Did a pot-sized bet on the turn protect TPTK from the 11-out (25%) draw? No, because it cost $1.50 to shoot for $8.50, the $4.50 pot after calling plus the extra $4 the hero would put in on the river. It would have been adequate protection if the hero had check-called the $2 river bet rather than check-raised.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:10 PM

The check-raise on the river is foolish as the only hand that will call that check-raise is a hand that beats you. If the guy was bluffing on the river, he's obviously going to fold so you're not going to get anymore money from him (so you might as well have just called).
Old 05-27-2004, 12:16 PM

everything looks fine except the check-raise on the river.

I don't know about the micro-limits game, but if he is willing to call a pot-sized bet on the flop with bottom pair and a backdoor flush draw, I would start betting more than the pot to see where his cutoff is, so you can make more money the majority of the time when he calls and loses.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[Runner-runner flush] 9/45 * 8/44 is 2/55, 26.5:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, the right calculation was 10/45 * 9/44 = 1/22, 21:1. This assumes that a runner-runner flush is possible for your opponent and not for you, since 10 turn cards give your opponent a flush draw and 9 river cards complete it. 10/47 * 9/46 may be more appropriate if you only know what is in one hand.