Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 12:18 AM

Default AJ suited, should I check-raise this turn?

Relatively tight table, 4 or 5 to the flop normally, no stats, haven't paid for PAHud yet, Should I consider check-raising this turn? Any and all comments appreciated.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: AJ suited, should I check-raise this turn?

I'm curious about your justifications for considering a turn c/r here. What are your reasons for considering it?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:28 AM

It looks to me you played this hand right. However, I can not think of what villain has. What is he 3betting with?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:32 AM

Its just a consideration open for discussion. I did not consider it till after I made the play thinking that since I have 2 overcards I could extract more on the river, and that he may fold if he doesn't have a pair yet. By check-raising if he doesn't have a pair he may fold with a gut-shot or a flush draw. if he re-raises me I would then have the pot odds to call considering that I have 6 outs.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
since I have 2 overcards I could extract more on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't really extract anything here unless we improve.

[ QUOTE ]
By check-raising if he doesn't have a pair he may fold with a gut-shot or a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a gutshot, we don't want him to fold since he's calling with insufficient odds, therefore making us profit. If he has a flush draw, he's never folding.

[ QUOTE ]
If he re-raises me I would then have the pot odds to call considering that I have 6 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes that he always has a 1-pair hand when he 3-bets you on the turn. At this point, there's a decent chance he slowplayed 2p or better and you're drawing dead at this point. Even if we can call profitably, we still just paid 3BB to draw on the turn.

I like the way you played the hand. Our hand is way too weak to check-raise for value and at the microlimits I think it will rarely fold a better hand.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:38 AM

*grunch*

What is a turn c/r going to accomplish? highly unlikely you're going to get someone to fold that way, especially at Party .5/1

Check raises are generally used for 2 things, building pots and for protecting your hand.

You've got nothing and that T on the turn isn't going to scare anyone.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:39 AM

And if I check and he checks, I can win this pot with the High Card. If I bet and he raises, as he did, I have to fold with no pair especially with the pot being so small. This doesn't allow me to hit one of my 6 outs on the river to extract at least another bet on the river.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if I check and he checks, I can win this pot with the High Card. If I bet and he raises, as he did, I have to fold with no pair especially with the pot being so small. This doesn't allow me to hit one of my 6 outs on the river to extract at least another bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense. You bet the turn because there's some chance that you still have the best hand (although pretty doubtful given the flop call on a ragged board). If you check, you a) give the villain a free card when he's drawing or b) allow yourself to be pushed off of the best hand as you don't have sufficient odds to call the turn, and you'll be committing yourself for two BB to showdown your A-high in the case you do call.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:57 AM

I disagree that its favorable that he has 2-pair. He already assumes that I have a strong hand since I raised from early position, if he flopped two pair he most likely would have raised the flop knowing that I am stong enough to call, its possible that he may be slow-rolling a set, to me its most likely he has flush draw or a pair of 9's or 10's, either way an Ace or Jack beats him. If he is playing 910 I am dead, but to put him on that is unlikely with the tight play and my aggression pre-flop. If we put him on A10, A9 or 2 hearts then I am favorable to draw to my 6 outs if I check-raise. I doubt he raised with a gut-shot, I wasn't trying to say that, and I understand that he would not call a check-raise with a gut-shot, but would probably not call a bet with a gut-shot either. In this situation I read A10, K10, Q10, to be most likely, a Flush-draw next, then A9, or a set. I think 2 pair here is the LEAST likely, especially given the relatively tight table.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:01 AM

I was just trying to justify what would happen if villain did not bet not allowing me to check-raise him. It wouldn't be that horrible., I wouldn't consider checking unless I was reasonably sure that villain would bet allowing me to raise. This hand really shows the value of position.