Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 11:02 PM

Default 10/20 set in position with dangerous board

It is a 10/20 no limit game. I have about 2k as does the villain in the hand.

I open on the button for 60.00 with 5H 5C. The SB calls. The flop is 3D, 5D, 2D.

This is a "good" flop for me, with top set. It's certainly vulnerable to a lot of other hands, however. The SB checks to me.

A. Decision - Check or Bet flop?
1. Checking - This gives me the advantage of keeping the pot small in position with a vulnerable (and possibly powerhouse) hand. It also allows a hand with any diamond or possible gutshot straight draw to catch up for free.

2. Bet the flop - The problem with betting the flop is that I am opening myself to a possible raise, increasing the pot size, and potentially putting myself in a situation to make a difficult decision.

B. Decision - I did bet on the flop after the button checked, for 120.00.

The SB raised for 360.00 - So it was 240 to call for me.

I think it's an easy call for that amount. If another diamond hits on the turn that might slow down any non-nut flush, a possible str8, two pair, or a set. If the board pairs I'm betting the pot on the turn if checked to, and moving all in if bet to.

C. Another option - Reraise - A risky option. That's exactly what I did. In fact, I moved all of my chips in.

Results to be posted.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: 10/20 set in position with dangerous board

I don't think your push is that bad, but you need to give us some kind of read on villain.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think your push is that bad, but you need to give us some kind of read on villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had not played with him before.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:03 AM

I think that's an extremely risky push. I can't imagine there are a lot of fish around the 10/20 NL tables (maybe I'm wrong), so I have a hard time saying that this guy is out of his league. What's he check raising you with? Would he have checked into the possibility of a hand like AdKs and allowing him to see a free card? I think it's quite possible he has the flush, maybe the nut flush, right now.

He could also be trying to take the pot.

Problem is, there's almost no chance you can knock a better hand off with an all in on that flop. And his check raise is for sure representing a better hand.

I'd have called for sure...if you pair the board on the turn, I highly doubt he's gonna suspect you have what you have. That's gonna give you the option at the rest of his stack if you hit, and will snap off a bluff attempt if he's trying that. If another diamond falls, you might even wind up being able to take the pot from him or at least slow him down quite a bit if he's not on the nut flush. Lotta cards in the deck to help you out in a $600 pot that's $240 to call with a shot at his whole stack.

That said, I like the idea of keeping this pot fairly small. I'd probably have checked the flop and played accordingly on the turn. If a diamond falls, you can get away cheaply if you need to (or play if he gives you a good price). If a brick falls, you can play in a much smaller pot which is beneficial, and you induce more bluffing and semi-bluffing which isn't painful to call since the pot is small. And if SB has nothing, he's not likely to take his hand too far anyway, which argues against betting the flop when there's little chance for you to build a healthy pot when you're starting out best (I give up any flush draw but the Ace, and I'll give up the Ace to a big flop bet).

- Chris
Old 01-26-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Results

I was called after moving all in on this hand on the flop.

Check Raiser's Hand = Qd 9d in this spot; The opponent in the hand flopped a Queen high flush.

Chris thanks for the comments / thoughts on this hand.

Flop 3D, 5D, 2D
Turn 6H
River JC
Old 01-26-2005, 11:59 AM

Seeing as I'm such a generous guy, here's a thread you may find extremely interesting.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:12 PM

Thanks Yeti - Yes that was a very interesting Post.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:14 PM

If the board has paired on the turn, and he had bet at you and you moved all-in, don't you think you would have killed the action. Also, on the flop I think you should have checked behind. If the board had paired, he would have had NO idea that you had a boat and would've bet out.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:49 PM

Good post Yeti. I don't like your push on the flop. You raised with small cards and hit but his checkraise should send bells off in your head. Call the minraise and hope to pair the board.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:40 PM

After reading Yeti's linked post, I am now thinking a lot differently about top set hands.

I originally thought the play would be to push, simply because opponent could have some A high flush draw, gutshot, outside straight draw, overpair, two pair, or underset and I would want to charge him the maximum for chasing. I'd feel it's much more likely he has those hands than an actual flush.

But now, I think the superior play is definitely to call. You're in position, and you can see how he reacts to a diamond, a paired turn, or a blank. I think I would still want to get it all in on a blank turn, but now you can probably get away from a diamond, unless he gives you odds to fill up.

By the way, I would definitely bet this flop. You were preflop raiser, and there are many cards on the turn that could either kill your action or kill your hand. Checking behind because you're worried about your opponent flopping a flush is just scared poker, IMO. Once he check raises, then you can be scared.

Sorry about the results, but thanks for posting the hand.